Q. What leads to blood with loose stool?

I have blood coming in loose stool for the past one year but I do not feel any pain. What is the reason?

#

Blood in stool is not a normal condition as you are having the problem for one year. It should be investigated in detail and the following work-up will be useful. Rectal, anal area examination, stool routine microscopic examination, proctoscopy examination, colonoscopy, if needed. If needed during colonoscopy, biopsy taken from the abnormal area if found for histopathology examination.

This work-up will be helpful to rule out causes for blood in stool like a polyp, proctitis, piles, colitis, diverticulitis, any growth, if present, etc. If the color of blood in stool is of brown-red color than bleeding is from the upper gastrointestinal tract. If colour is bright red then the cause for bleeding is from the lower gastrointestinal tract. So, from your provided history, this work-up should be done and above causes should be ruled out. One diagnosis cannot be given. Consult general surgeon or gastroenterologist for examination and above work up and according to cause identified further treatment plan can be decided.

| 

What can be done to treat loose motion?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from loose motion for the last two days, took medicines Norflox TZ and O2, still no recovery. What should I do now?  Read Full »

I have anal pain during bowel movement. Please suggest medications.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male working as a software professional. I have been facing a problem with anal pain during bowel movement and also feel the pain after the bowel movement for some time. I have been facing this problem since 10 days. Motion is normal. I have overcleaned the anal ar...  Read Full »

I have loose motions with fever and body ache. What is the cause?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever. When I checked it, it was 100 F. Please help. I am attaching the prescription of the medicines that I take regularly.  Read Full »

COVID-19 Vaccines in India
Two vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin, have been granted emergency use authorization in India. Read about these vaccines'...  Read more»
I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now