Q. How to differentiate between ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease?

Answered by Dr. Babu Lal Meena and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Do you have a question on Ulcerative Colitis or Diarrhea? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My 6 year old daughter was born with tyrosinemia type 1. She had diarrhea and bloody stools for 10 days, a month back. She was tested for many things, and everything came back normal, except her calprotectin level was 1250 while she had loose and bloody stools. She was admitted and had a cleanse and got an endoscopy done, and it showed lots of inflammation. She was put on a high dosage of steroids and Sulfasalazine for five weeks. The bleeding has stopped, and we weaned off the steroids.

The biopsy results said it was IBD. Two weeks ago, she had her calprotectin level checked again, and it was in the 200. This week, we checked it again, and it was 39. I will include pictures of the biopsy results and pictures of the endoscopy. Her doctor said that the reports are not 100 % fine, and it is either UC or Crohn's. The doctor said that further down the line, we would be able to know which one she has. I would love to get a second opinion on what it could be.