Q. I have ulcerative colitis with abdominal mass, nausea and weight gain. Please help.

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

I am a 43-year-old female. My height is 5.7 feet, and my weight is 100 kg. I am recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, and 20 mm polyps have been removed from the rectum. Currently, I am taking Mercaptopurine, Allopurinol, and Pentasa. I have an abdominal mass above and to the right of my belly button, and it is not in the center. I have a huge indent in the lower center back.

I experience nausea, vomiting, extreme fatigue, constipation, morning stiffness, edema of lower legs, more so on the left leg, numb fingers upon waking, restless legs, trouble sleeping, and back pain. I get occasional tachycardia 180 bpm, resting heart rate 100 bpm. I get unusual brownish slots in feet and ankles with profuse sweating, breathlessness, sunburn like rash on legs during the night. I also have hair loss, weight gain, and double vision. My right shoulder is higher than the left, and the right arm is larger than the left. I am wondering what my symptoms mean, but I am most concerned about the abdominal mass. Please help.

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Internal Medicine
#

You have mentioned that you are recently diagnosed with UC (ulcerative colitis) and under medication. A recent blood test shows high CRP (C-reactive protein). You are noticing abdominal mass in the stomach with symptoms like hair loss, weight gain, double vision, symmetrical disturbance in left and right limbs, and the symptoms you have mentioned could or could not be related to abdominal mass. Sometimes these symptoms could be an adverse reaction to the medication.

At first, we need to find out the cause behind the abdominal mass. Also, a little more detail regarding abdominal mass will be required, whether it is movable or not, painful or not, etc. Possible causes include hernia, lipomas, hematomas, tumors (whether benign or malignant), and more investigation is required to make the correct diagnosis. Raised CRP is seen in infection, inflammation in the arteries of the heart. Have you considered seeing a general surgeon for further investigation?

Please attach your colonoscopy and ultrasound abdomen reports if done.

Possible causes include hernia, lipomas, hematomas, tumor (whether benign or malignant).

Ultrasound abdomen.

Continue treatment for UC.

|