Q. I have IgA neuropathy, is it normal for the protein and blood levels in the urine to fluctuate?

Dr. Krishna Somani
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was diagnosed with early IgA nephropathy, about five years ago, and I am on medication. Protein and blood are present in the urine, and their levels have varied over time, ranging from traces to ++. My recent urine analysis showed protein (+), erythrocytes (++), RBC (8-10 /HPF), creatinine (1.2 mg/dL), and eGFR (67). Does the fluctuating levels of protein and blood, present in the urine sample considered normal, given that I have been diagnosed with early IgA and undergoing medication? My concern is that the levels tend to fluctuate with every test (which is usually conducted at six monthly intervals). Your advice and views are appreciated.

#

• To correctly answer your questions, I need to know the following.
  1. Was biopsy done? If yes, then send the report.
  2. Is your blood pressure under control?
  3. What medicines are you currently taking?
  • I suggest you get a 24-hour urine for protein done. This will tell you the degree of kidney damage.

Revert with more information to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

| 

The biopsy was done, and it was diagnosed as mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis or early IgA nephropathy. My BP is under control and is 125/80 mmHg. I take Cardace 10 mg and Minipress 2.5 mg as medication. And I also take Statins 10 mg for cholesterol. My microalbumin in spot urine was 143 mg/L with an ACR of 178 mg/g in my recent test. This is more or less in line with past trends over the years, although it suddenly spiked to 459 mg/L two years back, at that time my BP medication was increased. My creatinine has been at 1.2 mg/dL for the last three years. I usually do a spot microalbumin test. I also have a benign enlarged prostate problem, but I do not take any medications at present. My PSA total was 1.04 ng/mL and free PSA was 0.28, in the recent test. I also had a sore throat (mucus and irritation but no fever) three days before and during my recent blood and urine test. Would the benign enlarged prostate and sore throat have also contributed to the sudden increase in RBC?

#

• And sore throat or upper respiratory tract infections precipitates IgA attacks on gross hematuria, which is not your case.
  • Keep your blood pressure under control, and check creatinine and UACR (urine albumin to creatinine ratio) every six months. Avoid all forms of painkillers.
  • Consult your physician and start with fish oil capsules for IgA nephropathy. They are free of any side effects.

For further queries consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

|