Q. Is it normal to get blood in urine before getting periods?

Dr. Aman Gupta

I am 22 years old. I have been observing that since last 3-4 period cycles, I have been having blood in urine. Just an hour before periods then it is normal once I get my period and the urine is again clear. Recently, I got my period and an hour back I urinated with little blood but the last few drops after I was done wer really red. I have lower back pain that comes and goes and sometimes when I walk I get pain in left buttock. 10 days back I had UTI which is treated now. 10 days back I also had a really bad pain in lower abdomen and I placed a hot water bag on it and the pain was gone. I will be going for a scan and urine test after my periods are over.

I had posted this query on a health app and was told by the doctor that I may have bladder endometrosis. It has terrified me now. It is so scary q nd needs surgery. I am healthy, do yoga and never smoked nor am I sexually active. I wanted to get a second opinion whether I could have this. I Can understand that a doctor cannot give an opinion till the reports are out. And I still have to wait for 3-4 days till my periods are over to go fr the test. But for my peace of mind an experienced doctor's insight could help me relax a bit. Do I really have a major problem? My doctor who told me to go for scan told me that it could be an infection or kidney stone.

#

Endometriosis is not so common. Although you have a pattern of bleeding which goes in favor of bladder endometriosis. First thing which needs to be ruled out is a stone disease. Get an NCCT KUB done which will confirm or rule out stone disease. If it is not there then next step is a cystoscopy that means having a look inside the bladder by passing a small telescope through urinary passage. In any case these things are treatable and you should not worry much. Revert after the scan .

Thank you very much. I had a scan and the reports are normal. There are no kidney stones but just a bladder infection. I used to see blood in urine which was not related to period blood. But it is confirmed in the scan that there is a minimal bladder wall thickening due to UTI. That caused the blood in my urine. Everything else is normal. Thank you very much for your feed back.

My pregnant test is negative but I miss my period. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOD, and I am planning to conceive. I am under Macfolate and Metformin tablets for the past seven months. I have regular periods for the past six months. This month, on the 11th day, I missed my period. After two days, when I checked for pregnancy, I got a negative result. Again ...  Read Full »

I have conceived after trying for five years. Should I be on bed rest?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 34 year old female in the seventh week of pregnancy. I have conceived five years after we started trying for a baby. My blood, urine, and ultrasound test results are normal. But, my doctor has advised me a complete bed rest till the 12th week. Could you please comment? Is bed r...  Read Full »

Is there any treatment for IUGR baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 weeks pregnant now and by scan two weeks back and the doctor says the baby is IUGR due to placental insufficiency. She said to terminate the pregnancy but I feel baby movement and heart rate. Also, I am pre-eclamptic and diabetic but sugar is controlled. Tell me what can I do....  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»