Q. My BP is 130/90 mmHg. Should I continue my BP medication?

I am taking BP medicine for the last 1.5 years, with Nebi 2.5 daily in the morning. I always check my BP at home with a digital BP machine. It always measures within the limit i.e., between 110/70 - 120/80. But whenever I check manually, it always comes between 120/80 - 130/90.

Because of this, I went to my doctor last year. He verified three times with mercury one, and it was always 120/80. He told me not to worry and continue the same medicine. It is almost a year now, and due to COVID-19, he is not available now. I use to go for a check every six months. Last time again, when I measured my BP, it was 130/90 mmHg. What should I do? Should I take Nebi 5 mg now? My doctor told me if anytime it constantly measures 130/90, increase the dose to 5mg. Please guide me.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

It is fine to have a variation of 10 to 20 mmHg between electrical and manual machines or even between any two devices, due to different standardizations. At present, you should act according to the BP readings of your machine only and take three readings at a time with arm relaxed and resting on the table after the rest of 5 minutes. Take BP frequently, say three times a day for a week, and make a chart.

The target for systolic BP is 110 to 130 mmHg and less than 90 mmHg diastolic. Suppose most of your BP readings are less than 130 systolic, then no need to increase the dose to 5 mg. Occasional readings above 130 mmHg do not warrant the dose increase.

If most readings are above 130 systolic, and the pulse rate is atleast more than 65, you may increase the dose to 5 mg once daily. If the pulse rate is staying less than that, then you should increase the dose after examination by the nearby doctor. In this scenario, (if the pulse rate is less than 65 per minute), you may take another antihypertensive like Amlodipine 2.5 mg additional to Nebi 2.5 (Nebivolol), which will not affect the pulse rate.

| 

My pluse rate is around 60.

#

Then it can go further down with an additional 2.5 mg. So avoid adding 2.5 Nebivolol without medical supervision. If your BP is persistently above 130, then add Amlodipine 2.5 mg once daily.

|