Q. My BP is 130/90 mmHg. Should I continue my BP medication?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 13, 2021

I am taking blood pressure medicines for the past one and a half years. I am taking tablet Nebi 2.5 daily in the morning. I always check my blood pressure at home with a digital machine. It usually shows 110/70 mmHg. But when I check it manually, it shows 120/90 mmHg. or 130/90 mmHg. Due to this, I consulted a doctor. He checked my blood pressure manually three times and it was around 120/80 mmHg. I am continuing the same medicines. It is almost a year and due to pandemic, I am not able to consult a doctor. I use to check my health every six months. When I checked my blood pressure last time, it was around 130/90 mmHg. Do I need to continue taking Nebi 5 mg daily? My doctor told me that if my blood pressure shows 130/90 mmHg, then he told me to increase the dosage of my tablet to 5 mg. Please suggest.

#

It is fine to have variations of 10 to 20 mmHg between electrical and manual machines or even due to different standardizations. You should take the blood pressure readings of your machine only and take three readings at a time by relaxing the arms and resting them on the table after having a rest of five minutes. Check your blood pressure frequently and you can check it three times a day for a week. Have a chart. Your systolic blood pressure should be between 110 to 130 mmHg and diastolic should be less than 90 mmHg. If your blood pressure readings are below 130 mmHg (systolic), then you need not increase the dosage of your tablet to 5 mg. If your readings are above 130 mmHg, with a pulse rate of 65 beats per minute, then you need to increase the dose to 5 mg daily. If the pulse rate is less, then you should increase the dose after doing a physical examination. If the pulse rate is less than 65 beats per minute, then you can another tablet Amlodipine 2.5 mg with Nebi 2.5 mg (Nebivolol). It will not affect the pulse rate.

I have a pulse rate of 60 beats per minute.

#

It can go down further with an additional 2.5 mg. So avoid adding 2.5 mg Nebivolol. If your blood pressure remains persistently above 130 mmHg, then you can take tablet Amlodipine 2.5 mg once daily.

Last time, I had a heart rate of 50 beats per minute. But now it is around 48 beats per minute. I always do my work without getting tired. I do cycling for an hour without getting tired. But sometimes, I have heaviness in my chest even when I am sitting simply. It is not constant. Is it due to heart disease? Is it serious? My blood pressure often fluctuates between 120/85 mm Hg to 100/70 mmHg. I am taking Nebi 2.5 mg. Do I need to consult a cardiologist immediately?

#

Your blood pressure and pulse rate are in a lower range. It is better to stop taking Nebicard 2.5 mg for some time to avoid further worsening of your parameters. As you are asymptomatic at present., you can have routine follow up and this does not appear as an emergency condition. Intermittent chest heaviness at rest is not related to heart disease but it is related to acid reflux. Cardiac heaviness occurs on exertion and relieves with rest.

I went for a check-up last month. I have done all the tests such as an echocardiogram, chest X-ray, a blood test for creatinine, urea, fasting sugar, and lipid profile. Everything was normal except LDL and HDL. It was with a ratio of 5:4. My doctor told me to continue taking Nebi 2.5 and asked to have a regular check-up once in six months. He has not prescribed any medicine for cholesterol. I consulted three doctors and checked my blood pressure. One of my readings was 132/90 mmHg, the other one was 120/83 mmHg and the last one was 130/85 mmHg. The doctor told me that I do not have any issues with my heart. He advised me to take good food with regular exercise for cholesterol. I am attaching the reports. I am taking Nebi 2.5 mg. Now, my blood pressure remains normal, and sometimes I have fluctuations. I am following a strict diet with high fiber food, exercise, and outdoor playing. Still, I do not know the reason for my blood pressure fluctuation.

#

The attached reports are fine except lipid profile. If the blood pressure crosses the threshold once in a while, then it is fine. Your blood pressure should be between 110 to 130 mmHg in systolic and less than 85 mmHg in diastolic. Nebivolol is not the first choice of drug for hypertension. It raises cholesterol, triglycerides and reduces HDL (high-density lipoprotein) as side effects. So I try to change your medication and take ARB (angiotensin II receptor blockers) or CCB (calcium channel blockers). For now, you can continue taking medications as prescribed and your parameters are mildly deranged. Try to discuss this with your doctor on your next visit. Having an LDL (low-density lipoprotein) level of 100 mg/dL is fine. So considering changing Nebivolol soon and it is not necessary immediately.

|