Q. Blood pressure seems unusually high in 4 year old. Is there a problem?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on May 15, 2018

I have a nephew who is 4 and a half years old. He is quite active as a child with a normal height and weight according to his age. Two days back we happened to measure his blood pressure at home normally. We were quite taken aback as it was 144/100 and later also it was around 130/96 even while sleeping it is around 120/80. He is otherwise not sick, but he sweats a lot while sleeping since the time he was born. Is there any problem with his BP, we are quite worried.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

A blood pressure of 120/80 is definitely very high for a child of 4 years and 6 months.

There are various causes for increased blood pressure at this age like renal parenchymal disease, COA (coarctation of the aorta), renal artery stenosis, endocrine causes like hyperthyroidism, Cushing’s endocrine syndrome, pheochromocytoma, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, and hyperaldosteronism.

Since there is a history of sweating, chances of hyperthyroidism are high. I suggest you to get the child examined by a pediatrician so that appropriate tests can be advised.

Based on the reports, drugs for hypertension needs to be started.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

What ayurvedic medicines are used to treat hyperthyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old unmarried female. I have a colloid nodule, hyperthyroidism, and uterine fibroids. My thyroid test report shows T3 to be 2.79 ng/mL and T4 is 13.14 ug/dL. I have attached reports for your reference.  Read Full »

I had high blood pressure and low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction?

Query: Hi doctor,I had high blood pressure, low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction? I have no chest pain. At the time of ECG, my blood pressure was 168/100 and heart beat 46.  Read Full »

How will high blood pressure affect the kidney?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 65 years old. Her blood pressure is 180/90 mmHg. She is suffering from urine infection and her serum uric acid is 7.6 mg/dL. I have attached her other reports for your reference. She is currently on Norflox 400 twice daily, Ciploric 300 one tablet daily at night, Telma AM one t...  Read Full »

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now