Q. Blood pressure seems unusually high in 4 year old. Is there a problem?

Dr. Deepak Patel

I have a nephew who is 4 and a half years old. He is quite active as a child with a normal height and weight according to his age. Two days back we happened to measure his blood pressure at home normally. We were quite taken aback as it was 144/100 and later also it was around 130/96 even while sleeping it is around 120/80. He is otherwise not sick, but he sweats a lot while sleeping since the time he was born. Is there any problem with his BP, we are quite worried.

#

A blood pressure of 120/80 is definitely very high for a child of 4 years and 6 months.

There are various causes for increased blood pressure at this age like renal parenchymal disease, COA (coarctation of the aorta), renal artery stenosis, endocrine causes like hyperthyroidism, Cushing’s endocrine syndrome, pheochromocytoma, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, and hyperaldosteronism.

Since there is a history of sweating, chances of hyperthyroidism are high. I suggest you to get the child examined by a pediatrician so that appropriate tests can be advised.

Based on the reports, drugs for hypertension needs to be started.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|