Q. Shall I take Amlodipine to control my BP?

Dr. Rohit Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 24, 2020

I am 39 years old and my weight is 70. My blood pressure is 130/80 mmHg. I am on Seloken XL 50 once daily. Can I use non-selective beta blocker instead of beta blockers? Please advise if Amlodipine is good.

#

Your question is a hypothetical one. The reason being every drug is good and bad and has its own pros and cons.

Metoprolol is a wonderful drug to slow down the heart rate without side effects on other organs. Metoprolol is a cardioselective beta blocke.

Having said that, if you do not have any associated features or specific cause, then you ask your doctor to follow the protocol of the JNC 8 (the Eighth Joint National Committee) - the international guidelines for hypertension.

I suggest you tablet Losar-H (Losartan) once daily as it is the safest drug. But, the switch has to be slow as you are addicted to beta blocker and removing it suddenly would cause withdrawal.

Also, Amlodipine is not a good drug for you. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|