Q. How can high blood sugar levels be controlled?

Dr. Shazli Naseer

My husband had an issue of multiple urination and high thirst. I checked his sugar, he is 30 years old. His random sugar was 419. I have gone through the various tests. I need a doctor to check the reports and suggest the instant treatment. His fasting is between 218 to 257.

#

I went through your husband's reports, plus from the information you provided. This is my advice. He will need a detailed examination and a few more tests to determine if he is type 1 or type 2 because he is very young. His glucose levels are critically high from my assessment and he needs to start immediate treatment with diet control, a medicine which will include a pill and a short-term insulin once daily until his sugar is under control. He is significantly overweight and will need to lose weight eventually with good diet control and exercise.

Until he sees a doctor, the following is my advice. Diet restrictions: He should stop eating any sugar-containing item right away. No cold drinks, no fruit juices, soda, cakes, ice cream or sweets. Cut back on the portion of rice, potato, and bread in food. Medication: He can start medication (Pill)-Glucophage (Metformin) 500 mg, one tablet with breakfast and with dinner right away. When he sees a doctor they can choose to add Insulin or another medication. His cholestrol is very very high. He willl need treatment for that as well. Unless he starts to control his diet no medication can control his blood sugar.

|