Q. I am 20 weeks pregnant, and I was told to take blood thinners. Should I take them?

Dr. Tinu Philip
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 05, 2021

I am 20 weeks pregnant at the age of 35. After my first pregnancy, I had some painless blood clots and I left them untreated. Now I was advised to take a blood thinner tablet for 100 days. On a second opinion, I was advised to stop taking it as it can lead to severe blood loss during delivery. Yesterday, I noticed some blood clots near my knee and I had pain while touching it. I also have a swelling in my knee. Do I need to start taking a blood thinner tablet now?

#

Blood thinners are advised when the ultrasound or clinical examination shows a risk for hypertension or growth problems later in pregnancy or due to previous abortions or pregnancy losses or in higher maternal age. These medications can cause increased bleeding during delivery. They are usually stopped by 34 to 36 weeks. Knee swelling is unrelated to this issue. Pregnancy can cause painful effusions and swelling in joints. If you feel to have blood clots, kindly consult a gynecologist to know the cause.

|