Q. Will Risperidone and Asprito affect my fetus during pregnancy?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
Published on Apr 15, 2018

I had two episodes of psychosis in the past two years. I started treatment with Risperidone and later started Asprito 5 mg. I am getting married after two months. I want to know that if I start a family, will this treatment affect my baby's health as only limited medicines are allowed during pregnancy?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

As you are receiving only 5 mg Asprito (Aripiprazole), which is a very low dose, it is better if you stop the medication at least in the first trimester (first 3 months of pregnancy). Then, you can take medicine safely during remaining pregnancy (last 6 months). But, if not possible to stop the medication, then, take tablet Haloperidol which is safer than Asprito during pregnancy.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Is it good to take Risperidone for a long time for hallucination?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother had five to six episodes of hallucinations, and he takes Risperidone 2 mg for one year. Is it safe to take this medicine for such a long time? Can psychosis come back after stopping the medication? What are the side effects?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Antipsychotics are usually required for long-term. But if the person is suffering from acute and transient psychotic disorders, then these drugs are used for three months to one year depending upon the situation. After completing the drug treatment, relapse of psychosis...  Read Full

I am experiencing psychosis after being sexually abused for years. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old, and I have been sexually abused as a child for many years. I have never told anyone, and now my parents got divorced. I am experiencing numbness and psychosis symptoms, but they do not affect my daily life, and no one knows what I am going through. I wanted to know...  Read Full >>

Dr. Parth Singh
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I empathize with you. Sexual abuse in childhood is perhaps the most brutal and tragic thing that can happen to a person. The scars of that enormous trauma never fade away. I believe you have post-traumatic stress disorder. It is not a psychotic disorder but a...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now