Blood Urea Nitrogen

Will high protein intake cause high levels of creatinine and BUN?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52-year-old male. My recent labs show elevated levels of BUN and creatinine. I have hypertension and it is controlled by medication. I am a weight trainer and boxer. I have followed a high protein diet over the years. My lab repot shows: eGFR - 71. BUN - 27. Creatinine - 1...  Read Full »

Dr. Manzoor Ahmad Parry

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know which medicines you take for hypertension? I would like to know, whether you have done any urine examination? Rest eGFR (glomerular filtration rate) of 71 is within normal range for you, if urine examination is normal. I would advise you to decr...  Read Full »

Inspite of undergoing dialysis for kidney failure, my creatinine and BUN levels are higher. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on dialysis for kidney failure and I have noticed a fluctuation in my monthly blood work for the creatinine and BUN levels. At the beginning of the year, my creatinine was 11 and it has decreased every month to 7. I was also making more urine as I went along. All of a sudden, las...  Read Full »

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have worked as a chief in a hemodialysis center for 20 months. Once the kidneys have failed and the patient is hooked up on dialysis, the creatinine value is always high. At this time we do not care about the creatinine values because once we start dialysis on a p...  Read Full »

Is BUN to creatinine ratio normal in my reports?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you please have a look at my reports. Is my BUN to creatinine ratio normal? I am diabetic and I have been taking Glykind-M, half a tablet every day.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). BUN-creatinine ratio is fine. It is not significant here. It is important only if individual values are abnormal. So nothing to worry about it. Other abnormalities are noticed, like dera...  Read Full »

Are my blood test results worrisome?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year old male. I just had a blood test. Results: Hemocrit 60.0 (h), Blood Urea Nitrogen 24 (h), MCV 96.6 (H), MCHC 31.9 (L), Creatinine 1.36 (H), Basophils 2.1 (H), All other labs were normal.  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. BUN levels represent the balance between urea production (liver), urea breakdown, and urea elimination (kidneys). Therefore, BUN is an indicator of kidney health and/or liver health. A high hematocrit could be due to many reasons and is not an indication of iron ove...  Read Full »

Family peace has been ruined because of alcohol. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother-in-law is an alcoholic. He drinks a lot and verbally abuses my sister. When he gets back to normal, he says he does not remember what he said or what wrong he did. He is involved in binge drinking and smoking for the last 15 years. He says he wants to quit but is unable to...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I would like to inform you that your brother-in-law is suffering from alcoholism which means he is completely dependent on alcohol and everything is disturbed because of this. It also seems to me that his ju...  Read Full »

My 4-year-old diabetic son has high lipid panel and BUN. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 4 years old and he has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one year ago. He has a high lipid panel. Comprehensive metabolic panel, lipid panel, T4 free, and thyroid have been done. Reports have been attached herewith.  His A1C is 7.2. He uses Omnipod and Dexcom. He uses...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not something that one should be worried about. Triglycerides are high when the sugars are high and when sugars settle, the triglycerides also settle. Do not panic. Blood urea nitrogen is just above and it is not significant. For more information consult an end...  Read Full »

Please guide me after seeing my latest thyroid reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 47 year old male. I am having hypothyroidism and high BP from the last 15 years. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches and weight is 82 kg. I am taking Thyronorm 125 mcg and Telsartan H80 daily. I am attaching my recent blood reports. Please guide on what I should do.  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query about your health conditions and saw the detailed reports which you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears that you have hypothyroidism, hypertension, and dyslipidemia. Your thyroid function test shows tha...  Read Full »