HomeAnswersEndocrinologyhigh triglyceridesWhat is the treatment for my 4-year-old diabetic son with high lipid panel?

My 4-year-old diabetic son has high lipid panel and BUN. Should I be worried?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 4, 2017
Reviewed AtNovember 2, 2022

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My son is 4 years old and he has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one year ago. He has a high lipid panel. Comprehensive metabolic panel, lipid panel, T4 free, and thyroid have been done. Reports have been attached herewith. His A1C is 7.2. He uses Omnipod and Dexcom. He uses NovoLog three units daily. His basal-bolus ratio is 25/1. Recently, we did a bloodwork and his lipid panel was high as well as his BUN. His blood urea nitrogen was 19 mg/dL and his triglycerides were 176 mg/dL. Can you suggest any proper treatment?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It is not something that one should be worried about. Triglycerides are high when the sugars are high and when sugars settle, the triglycerides also settle. Do not panic. Blood urea nitrogen is just above and it is not significant.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

The only thing I do not understand is that at the time of the test, his blood glucose was 78. It is not high by any means.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

As your son has diabetes, it is not one reading that causes the triglycerides to go high. It is the cumulative hyperglycemia that leads the triglycerides to go up. They should settle down over a period of time. Do not worry.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

default Img
Dr. Swaraj Waddankeri


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy