Q. Is it dangerous to have high levels of creatinine and BUN in hypertension patient?

Dr. Manzoor Ahmad Parry

I am a 52-year-old male. My recent labs show elevated levels of BUN and creatinine. I have hypertension and it is controlled by medication. I am a weight trainer and boxer. I have followed a high protein diet over the years.

My lab repot shows:

eGFR - 71.

BUN - 27.

Creatinine - 1.32.

My fluid intake has been down with my irregular schedule since the pandemic. I have increased my water intake now 64 plus oz of water a day and I have stopped taking any protein supplements.

#

I would like to know which medicines you take for hypertension? I would like to know, whether you have done any urine examination? Rest eGFR (glomerular filtration rate) of 71 is within normal range for you, if urine examination is normal. I would advise you to decrease the protein intake and avoid protein supplements. You take water as much so that urine daily passed is around 1.5 liters. You should avoid any nephrotoxic drugs (painkillers, herbal medicines). If a urine examination was not done previously, I would advise you to undergo one routine urine examination and one ultrasound of kidneys.

| 

I take 10 mg of Ramipril and 2.5 mg of Bystolic.

#

I would advise you to continue the same antihypertensive drugs, monitor blood pressure, decrease the protein intake, and avoid protein supplements. Also, take water as much so that urine daily passed is around 1.5 liters. You should avoid any nephrotoxic drugs (painkillers, herbal medicines). I would advise you to undergo one routine urine examination and ultrasound of kidneys.

|