Q. What are the causes of high creatinine and blood urea nitrogen levels in elderly patients?

Dr. Manzoor Ahmad Parry

My father is suffering from diabetes, hypertension, and chronic kidney disease. His creatinine level is 5 mg/dL, blood urea nitrogen level is 90 mg/dL, hemoglobin level is 8 g/dL. He is taking capsule Sompraz IT, tablet Faronac 300 mg ER, tablet Febuxostat 40 mg, tablet Irozorb plus, tablet Ketoalfa-DS, tablet Amlovas LS and Insulin dose to control diabetes. The insulin dosage is given according to the blood glucose level. He has taken SGPT, ESR, KFT, CBC, random blood glucose test and urine test. I have attached the reports. Please help.

#

I have seen the report attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). What is your query?

Thank you doctor for the reply,

Can you prescribe medicines to prevent further kidney failure, to reduce creatinine and blood urea nitrogen levels?

#

Since your father has kidney function of 13 ml/min, he has reached an end stage. Follow these steps;

1. Your father should stop tablet Amlodipine (calcium channel blocker) 5 mg and take tablet Carca (Carvedilol) 3.125 mg twice daily for high blood pressure.

2. Monitor the blood pressure daily.

3. Your father should eat less than 5 gms of salt and low protein diet.

4. Avoid painkillers and herbal medicines to prevent kidney damage.

5. You should consult a specialist for treating with AV (arteriovenous) fistula and kidney transplant.

|