Q. Did my left eye vision get blurred suddenly due to optic neuritis?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I have multiple sclerosis, diabetes, epilepsy, optic neuritis, and celiac disease. I had a scan to find out the cause and treatment for the conditions and nothing was found. Now the bottom half of vision from my left eye has gone blurred all of a sudden, yet the optician said the back of my eye seems fine. What should I do next? Am I supposed to take painkillers everyday for pain. Why did my vision get blurred suddenly? Also, I do not have a history of falls and do not have a black eye. The vision just blurred after waking up. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. By your typing and spelling errors, I guess you are having difficulty typing on the keyboard due to blurred vision. Regarding the sudden blurring of vision in the bottom half of the left vision after waking up, I suspect it to be an inferior altitudinal visual field defect, and it appears as a symptom of nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION). Optic neuritis is the second most common symptom presentation. Is there any associated painful movement of the eyeball? I would suggest you visit an ophthalmologist as soon as possible to confirm the diagnosis about what caused the above symptom and start treatment at the earliest. I also suggest a fundus examination of the eye done to look at the optic disc appearance. If it is nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy, the ophthalmologist will talk to you about its management and the risk factors.

I hope you get well soon.

|