Q. Why do I have acute blurred vision and minor color reduction in my eye?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on Aug 28, 2018

I have a minor color reduction for a long term. Recently, I have an acute blurred vision. I have pain and discomfort when I am moving the eye. I have a slight change in color sight with slightly reduced red color vision in left eye. I have attached an MRI Axial T2 Propeller image from a brain scan. The image shows a hyperintensity (white sheath) surrounding the optical nerve. Could you please identify what is the white sheath that indicates on this type of MRI image and the possible cause for the difference of appearance between the two optical nerves?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The MRI shows features suggestive of left-sided optic nerve sheath meningioma with possibly both sided Inflammatory orbitopathy (muscle enlargement is quite apparent). But these needs be correlated clinically. Although meningioma is recognized to be a benign tumor, it can cause pressure effects on the optic nerve and can cause compressive optic neuropathy. Inflammatory orbitopathy also shows a similar picture.

A drop or alteration in color vision, reducing visual acuity, pain on eye movements especially inwards towards the nose or upwards are the features suggestive of optic neuropathy secondary to compression. Hence this needs immediate treatment by an ophthalmologist and radiation oncologist. There are no home remedies or preventive measures. The best treatment for optic nerve meningioma is fractionated radiation therapy, and for inflammatory orbitopathy, it is immunosuppressives like steroids.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Why do my eyes itch?

Query: Hello doctor, My vision gets blurry, especially when I look at green lights at night. I wake up with a blurry vision every day. And at times, my eyes pain and itch. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blurring of vision at night and morning may be because of refractive error. This requires evaluation by an ophthalmologist. The itching in the eye can be due to allergic conjunctivitis. I suggest you try using anti-allergic eye drops.  Read Full

If I use steroid for MS, is it possible to recover fast?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with MS last month. I had severe dizziness before three months, and I got bed bound. The next day, my head became heavy, and I was unable to move it off from the pillow. I had an unsteady feeling on my foot. I was able to sit, and I got pulled back with a sensation on my ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It indicates a new exacerbation of MS (also called relapse). As there are new plaques on your MRI which are enhanced by Gadolinium, I would recommend hospitalization and short-term tre...  Read Full

Can you suggest a skin whitening cream that does not contain steroids?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old female. My skin appears very dull. Can you suggest a whitening cream that does not contain steroid, which I can use on a regular basis?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can take an oral Vitamin C supplement every day. I suggest taking one sachet of Ener-C 1000 mg in a glass of water. Use sunscreen in the morning. Apply Golite skin lightening cream over the face at bedtime. For more information consult a dermatologist on...  Read Full