A skin infection that grows in a hair follicle or oil gland, and commonly affects parts of the body susceptible to friction or pressure, is called a boil. Staphylococcal bacteria mostly cause boils. It results in a hard, red, and painful lump on the surface of the skin.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have a boil near the end of my vagina, which hurts a lot while sitting. What medicines should I use?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a boil near the end of my vagina, and it is hurting a lot. It pains a lot when I sit. I do not have diabetes. Can you kindly suggest some treatment? I am taking Telmikind Beta 50 tablet for blood pressure.  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I suggest you consult a specialist and take the following medications with their consent. 1) Tablet Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid) twice daily for a week. 2) Tablet Calpol 500 mg (Paracetamol) twice daily for three days. 3) Tablet Pantop 40 (Pa...  Read Full »

Why do I have painful and foul-smelling boils under my breast, armpit, and groin?

Query: Hello doctor, I have painful and foul-smelling boils under my breast, armpit, and groin. They burst spontaneously and leave a dark scar. The complaint started when I got my first period. They have remained dormant for many years and now have begun to re-appear. I had epileptic attacks in the past, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhin Varghese

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. You have hidradenitis suppurativa. I suggest you get a gram stain of the pus done. Also, lose weight if you are overweight and quit smoking if you are a smoker. I suggest you follow the below treatment plan: Ketostar soap (Cetrimide and ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for a boil on my buttocks, that is painful and infected?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a boil on my buttocks for the last two days. Since yesterday, it has been draining pus and is painful. What do I need to do? Kindly advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern and would be happy to help. If there is a pus discharge, the only way to deal with it is to drain the pus out, clean and dress the wound, and start antibiotics. I suggest you to visit the nearest hospital and get it done at the earliest. Also...  Read Full »

I have a small painful bulge near my anal opening. What could it be?

Query: Hi doctor, I was taking a shower, and I noticed something near my anus. It is kind of painful only when pressing it. Do you know what this might be? Could it be cancer? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query, and sorry for the discomfort you are facing. I saw the pictures you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). In the picture, there is one single small bump that is erythematous, which means reddish in appearance....  Read Full »

Why do I get painless red bumps on my scrotum after sexual intercourse or masturbation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past couple of months, I have noticed that after sexual intercourse (protected) or masturbation, I get these red bumps on my scrotum that feel like a tiny ball. They usually do not cause any pain, and I can tell they are not attached to the testicle. If I do not masturbate for...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There is no relation between masturbation or ejaculation and skin bumps or rashes. I want to reassure you that if those rashes are painless, not itching, and disappear by themselves, it is nothing serious. I also would prefer to look at pictures of the lesion to clar...  Read Full »

Why am I getting boils in my inner thigh frequently?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two boils that have popped up on my inner thigh. I had it a couple of times a year, but I have not had them in a while. It has been about six months since I have had one. I usually take a 14-day course of tablet Bactrim 800 mg to clear it up. Currently, I am taking tablet Metfor...  Read Full »

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. A boil is a painful, pus-filled lesion or bumps on the skin. Since you mentioned you have a recurring boil appearance and a history of diabetes is also present, this would be a probable reason for frequent boil eruption. I hope your diabetes is ...  Read Full »

I have a pimple-like lump on my head. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old male. I have had pimple-like lumps in one spot on my head for about six months. Please help. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. In the picture (attachment removed to protect patient's identity) by looking I think it is furuncle or commonly called as boil. It is painful pus filled bump under the skin which starts as reddish, tender swelling and gets filled up wit...  Read Full »

What causes recurrent boils in children?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is around 2.9 years old. She was fine until four months back. Three months back, she got a small boil near her buttocks, so we went to our pediatrician. The doctor gave some tablets, and the boil got healed well. Again last month, she got another small boil on her buttock, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Answer: Hi,Welcome to skin infection (boil) in a span of four months is a matter of concern.The first possibility is that of an allergic rash due to an allergy to some substance or a mosquito bite getting infected due to repeated scratching. This needs to be treated by anti-allergic med...  Read Full »

What are the dietary restrictions to avoid acne vulgaris?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22-year-old female, and I have boils on my chest from the left to right shoulder. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have seen your query and understand your concern. Acne vulgaris is a common skin problem in adolescents. In adulthood, it involves pilosebaceous follicles or oil glands and therefore involves areas where oil glands are dense like face, chest, back, upper arms are com...  Read Full »

I am taking Jupicef tablet for a throat infection. Will it rectify my boil on the vulva?

Query: Hello doctor, I have got a boil on my vulva, and it is paining when I sit or walk. Currently, I am taking Jupicef 500 mg tablet for a throat infection. Kindly tell me if this will rectify the boil as well.  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It will help but, it is not a very effective antibiotic. For boils, I suggest you try taking the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Capsule Augmentin (combination of Amoxicillin and Cla...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.