Q. Why am I having itchy throat and stuffy nose after allogenic bone marrow transplant?

I am an 18-year-old girl. I have been a patient of beta thalassemia major. Recently allogenic bone marrow transplant was conducted (70 days since transplant). Before this, I had no history of any allergy or rash or another disease other than thalassemia. Recently, I have felt itchy throat-stuffy nose only on one side of the nose that is open and closes when I lie down. Moreover, due to an itch, there is a cough. No nasal drippings.

#

Your symptoms are suggestive of upper respiratory tract infection, possibly allergic inflammation. I suggest you investigate with CBC for primary work up. Meanwhile, a decongestant can be prescribed for your symptoms. You can drink warm water that helps in the soothing throat. Salt added lukewarm water gargle can be beneficial. Avoid the intake of excess spicy foods.

|