Q. Kindly suggest some medicine for cold, cough and itchy throat.

Published on Mar 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a sever cold and cough since couple of days. Please suggest me some good medicine, There is itching in the throat as well.

Hematology Pathology
#

According to the history provided, it could be pharyngitis associated with upper respiratory tract infection.

Your work up should be done as follows.

1. Auscultation.
  2. Chest x-ray, only if auscultation doubtful.
  3. CBC with AEC (complete blood count with absolute eosinophil count).
  4. ASO titer (antistreptolysin O).

According to the report, the further management plan can be decided. Until then you can follow the suggestions given below with the consent of your treating doctor.

1. Take vitamin C lozenges. Do steam inhalation three times a day.
  2. A decongestant like Phenylephrine will be beneficial for symptomatic relief.
  3. Take one teaspoon turmeric powder with honey in milk daily.
  4. Use warm water for drinking, avoid smoking and excess spicy foods.

If eosinophilia present in CBC or AEC is high, then Fexofenadine should be considered. If needed, throat swab culture can be done to choose the medication according to the culture report.

Consult a physician for examination with keeping all this in mind.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

What can be done for fever, severe cough, and running nose in a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2 years 10 months old boy is suffering from fever, severe cough, and running nose from the last four days. Then from the last two days, he is having a high-grade temperature like 102, 103 and then started antibiotic from the last two days (Klacid). Fever has not reduced with Parace...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This mostly looks like a viral fever. Viral fever usually subsides in up to five days. Also, the X-ray picture is suggestive of mild bronchitis. For a cough and cold, you can give syrup Asthakind (Bromhexine, Menthol) and syrup Sinarest (Paracetamol, Chlorpheniramine ma...  Read Full

What medicines do you suggest for severe cough that developed after a cold?

Query: Hello doctor,I am facing this severe and acute cough for the past three days. I am constantly coughing. It started with a cold and running nose. I took Zyrcold tablet for it. It helped with the running nose, but since then I am coughing constantly. There is no fever now, only persistent cough. Pleas...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You seem to have had an upper respiratory viral infection. Generally, it is a self-limiting illness and settles in a week. However, the symptoms can be bothersome. I suggest the following medicines: Tablet Telekast-L (a combination of Levoceti...  Read Full

Will Silver nitrate cure granulation with pharyngitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My ENT doctor told me that I am having granulation with pharyngitis. He applied silver nitrate. Will I be fine?  Read Full >>

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda
ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The condition you specified might be granular pharyngitis. If it is a recurrent condition you can be treated with Silver Nitrate to remove those granulations. There is no problem in the above-mentioned treatment. Apart from antacids, I suggest you take antibiotics and mou...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now