Q. Kindly suggest some medicine for cold, cough and itchy throat.

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a sever cold and cough since couple of days. Please suggest me some good medicine, There is itching in the throat as well.

#

According to the history provided, it could be pharyngitis associated with upper respiratory tract infection.

Your work up should be done as follows.

1. Auscultation.
  2. Chest x-ray, only if auscultation doubtful.
  3. CBC with AEC (complete blood count with absolute eosinophil count).
  4. ASO titer (antistreptolysin O).

According to the report, the further management plan can be decided. Until then you can follow the suggestions given below with the consent of your treating doctor.

1. Take vitamin C lozenges. Do steam inhalation three times a day.
  2. A decongestant like Phenylephrine will be beneficial for symptomatic relief.
  3. Take one teaspoon turmeric powder with honey in milk daily.
  4. Use warm water for drinking, avoid smoking and excess spicy foods.

If eosinophilia present in CBC or AEC is high, then Fexofenadine should be considered. If needed, throat swab culture can be done to choose the medication according to the culture report.

Consult a physician for examination with keeping all this in mind.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|