Q. Hb is reducing in beta thalassemia minor patient who is pregnant. Why?

My wife is pregnant with twins, 24 weeks now. Her Hb levels never in life had gone above 10. At the start of pregnancy, it was 8.5 but now it has touched 7.7. We did serum ferritin test and her level was 50 (normal) which I guess means no iron deficiency. She is a beta thalassemia minor as per the detailed reports. Can you please guide here? Our gynecologist would be consulting a hematologist today but if we can get an opinion here it would be great.

#

Thalassemia minor is hemoglobinopathy and so hemoglobin level can never be above 12 in such patient. In pregnancy, plasma is increased and so hemodilution can lead to more fall in hemoglobin level in CBC. Orofer XT like Iron tablet can be prescribed for such case. It would be great if the Hb level remains around 9 or 10 during pregnancy. The Iron infusion can be given in second or third trimester of pregnancy only if needed. You can discuss all these with your treating doctor or hematologist. No other mode of treatment is available as per my opinion. Close watch up is necessary in such case. I would like to suggest you to investigate with HB electrophoresis as well to avoid thalassemia major child.

|