Q. Is it possible that anxiety causes episodes of bradycardia?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello Doctor,

Is it possible that anxiety causes episodes of bradycardia?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

The answer is definitely NO which means anxiety in pure form does not cause bradycardia since anxiety is associated with increased adrenergic activity. But bradycardia can be found in a person with anxiety disorder because of other factors:

If you are taking beta-blocker class of drug for treatment of anxiety, that could be responsible for decreased heart rate despite the presence of anxiety.

If you have type I heart block you may have bradycardia despite the presence of other features of anxiety.

Any drug that antagonizes autonomic nervous system may be a cause for bradycardia.

Bradycardia is influenced by the factors such as age, gender, duration and symptoms associated with anxiety and family history of any cardiac ailment.

Revert back with an Electrocardiogram (ECG) and serum electrolytes levels for further follow up with a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|