Q. Is it possible that anxiety causes episodes of bradycardia?

Published on Aug 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello Doctor,

Is it possible that anxiety causes episodes of bradycardia?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

The answer is definitely NO which means anxiety in pure form does not cause bradycardia since anxiety is associated with increased adrenergic activity. But bradycardia can be found in a person with anxiety disorder because of other factors:

If you are taking beta-blocker class of drug for treatment of anxiety, that could be responsible for decreased heart rate despite the presence of anxiety.

If you have type I heart block you may have bradycardia despite the presence of other features of anxiety.

Any drug that antagonizes autonomic nervous system may be a cause for bradycardia.

Bradycardia is influenced by the factors such as age, gender, duration and symptoms associated with anxiety and family history of any cardiac ailment.

Revert back with an Electrocardiogram (ECG) and serum electrolytes levels for further follow up with a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

My anxiety disorder relapsed after I drank beer. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have anxiety and panic since five years. My GP had given Nexito forte and Veniz XR 37.5. And, I felt better and asked him to reduce the dosage two years ago. He stopped both and gave Nextio plus from then till date. I felt better. I did not smoke or drink while on treatment. 10 days ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be an anxiety disorder. You need to avoid the triggering factors that cause the relapse. Be it alcohol or something like smoking, family issues or financial problems. It is better to be on Nexito forte (Escitalopram and Clonazepam) during the episode o...  Read Full

Taking 5mg lorazapam for anxiety disorder gives poor response. Is it safe to take one more tablet?

Query: Dear Doctor, I have panic/anxiety disorder and was prescribed with 5mg lorazepam. I took one tablet at 8 PM but still l would wake up anxious in the morning. Is it safe to take one more tablet?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query at icliniq.com. At this moment you can take another 0.5mg but do not repeat it after that. Tomorrow you can discuss your poor response to the 0.5mg lorazepam either with your physician or you can discuss with me online, if online therapy for a psychiatry consultat...  Read Full

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to state that the stress and anxiety can affect almost every organ of the body and polyuria is not an exception. In other words, yes the stress can cause almost all the symptoms narrated in your qu...  Read Full