Q. Do I have sinus bradycardia based on the reports?

Published on Aug 21, 2018

I am 57 years old female. I am doing my annual health check-up for last three years. Below are some variation in my report this year, with respect to normal range. Could you please share your advice regarding this:

1. E.C.G - Sinus Bradycardia (except this normal study. Same is there in the report for last three years).
  2. Stool routine: mucus and vegetable cells found.
  3. Glucose fasting 102 mg/dl this year, 105 mg/dl last year, and 103 mg/dl two years back. Glucose pp is within normal range.
  4. HDL cholesterol: 39 mg/dl (it is always below the normal range for last three years)
  5. Cholesterol HDL ratio: 2.9 6. Bilirubin - 1.2 mg/dl.
  6. SGPT or ALT - 36 U/L (last year it was 41 U/L).
  7. Prolactin - 3.55 ng/ml.
  8. Neutrophils - 64 % (61 % last year).
  9. MCHC - 32.3 gm/dl.
  10. ESR, EDTA whole blood - first hour : 21 mm/hr (32 mm/hr last year).
  11. Urine routine: Specific gravity - 1.010, protein trace found, a scanty microorganism found.

I had a right ovarian cyst removal two years back. Also, when I had my health check-up in the same year, I had an elevated LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, so I take cholesterol medicine (Rosuvas 10) and also Stamlo 2.5 (to control blood pressure), Also TSH was 8.4 microIU/ml, so I take Eltroxin 25 and half of 12.5. My main concern is sinus bradycardia (heart rate is 54 bpm). Do I need to worry about this?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are fine. Even heart issue of sinus bradycardia appears to be fine.

This is likely an age related change and slowing of the heart rate. I guess you do not have any symptoms of dizziness, syncope or loss of consciousness at any times, visual blackouts, etc.

However, it is better to get one Holter monitoring done, which is 24 hours ambulatory ECG monitoring and may show subtle or minute abnormalities if any.

Also, tell us regarding the minimum heart rate goes through out the day. So overall, Holter monitoring is advisable although not an emergency.

Keep watch for symptoms of low heart rate which is mentioned above. And it does not appear to be a matter of worry but better to ascertain it.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I did an echocardiography, I have attached the screenshot of the report. It is mentioned there that, I have mild concentric hypertrophy in LV.

Could you please share your comment on this. Is there any special diet or medicine or exercise to reduce this?

#

Your report is not attached. However, concentric LVH (left ventricular hypertrophy) is not a matter of worry. It is just a change due to hypertension.

Keeping BP under control is the only means to keep it under control. So BP control is important.

You need to have low salt diet, low fat, oily and calorie diet and regular exercises in order to achieve some weight loss and subsequently control BP and concentric LVH.

Is it true that athletes have a low heart rate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I go to the gym six times a week. I am taking protein supplements and milk. I am not taking caffeine, alcohol or any other medicine. My resting heart rate is 84. When my pulse is under 100 I do not feel anything, but during some tension it goes above 100. While sleeping...  Read Full »

Can a cardiac MRI show anything in regards to pulmonary hypertension?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question regarding cardiac MRI. I have one biannually because I have congenital heart disease. My question is whether or not that type of imaging shows pictures of the lungs and, if so can it show anything in regards to pulmonary hypertension? I had a heart cath seven years a...  Read Full »

What herb should I take to prevent heart disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38 year old male. My weight is 80 kg  and I am trying to lose some of it. My height is 5'9". I was hospitalized with sudden and severe onset of diabetes in 31. I am taking Insulin to control it. I also take Enalapril for high blood pressure. In most of my life, I have been ove...  Read Full »