Bradycardia

Can lightheadedness with abnormal heart rate be due to atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hello doctor, Last weekend, I ended up in the ER department after an overdose on THC capsules. Very scary experience my heart was going crazy, very bad chest pain, shortness of breath, tremor, etc., for about five hours. I had an ECG done in the hospital which said sinus tachycardia. My blood was t...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is possible, but a likely possibility is of ventricular ectopics (or other causes) rather than Afib which could also cause irregular heartbeats on the machine. Even in normal individuals, the machine may falsely show irregular beats. Few points which are agains...  Read Full »

Why is deep bradycardia a disease for some and a sign of fitness for others?

Query: Hello doctor, Why deep bradycardia (35 BPM) is a disease for some people and for other people is a sign of fitness and health? What makes the difference in the deep bradycardia (35 BPM) between disease and fitness?  Read Full »

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. You raised a very good point. Cardiologist usually looks at the ECG and patient's symptoms. If the ECG does not show any features of conduction abnormalities and the patient is fit, healthy and has no symptoms, then it is reassuring especially if they are athletes....  Read Full »

Can bradycardia be related to sports activity?

Query: Hello doctor, I am male, 35 years old and weight 70 kilos, height 173 cm. Every year I do a medical checkup. In a recent medical check-up, there was a note related to heart rate (bradycardia), the result was 49 bpm. I also have checked manually and also using pulse meter, the result around 51 to 55...  Read Full »

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is quite common and normal for regular athletes to have sinus bradycardia, I saw some with heart rate down to 40 to 45 bpm daytime. At night usually, the HR is slower and it can get down to 35 bpm. As long as you remain asymptomatic that is no lightheadedness and no ...  Read Full »

What is the role of pacemaker in arrythmia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 63 years old male. I am a known case of atrial fibrillation 20 years. I had a brain hemorrhage 23 years back. I have a paroxysmal type of afib. Recently its frequency has markedly increased. I am taking Sotalol 80 mg and 80 mg. But now Sotalol increase is required which causes br...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The rate in AF is controlled with beta blockers, calcium channel blocker or Digoxin. You are taking Sotalol which is a beta blocker as well as the anti-arrhythmic drug. The permanent pacemaker is implanted when there is tachy-brady syndrome. It means sometimes there is ...  Read Full »

Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was diagnosed with thyroid gland disorder wherein T3 and T4 levels come as normal in results while TSH is pretty much high. Sometimes, the TSH value rises to 100. He has been on Levothyroxine or Eltroxin 100 mcg for the last 17 to 18 years now. Lately, he was hospitalized f...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, from the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it appears that he is having bradycardia and sinus arrhythmia, but no tachycardia. So, according to me, electrophysiology (EP) studies may be helpful, but not necessary. It could be due to thy...  Read Full »

My friend suffers with low heart rate after head injury. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, This query is with regard to one of my friends. He got an accident five months back. He was hospitalized in ICU. Blood came from his ear and so had a CT scan done. An ENT doctor said that his ear is fine and no hearing problem. Later he was shifted to his native. He was in ICU there. Hi...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Probably your friend has got head injury that is causing the brain edema which is causing the low heart rate known as bradycardia. He should get a repeat CT done. We usually give saline, antibiotics and Mannitol to reduce the swelling tha...  Read Full »

Is it possible that anxiety causes episodes of bradycardia?

Query: Hello Doctor,   Is it possible that anxiety causes episodes of bradycardia?  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com The answer is definitely NO which means anxiety in pure form does not cause bradycardia since anxiety is associated with increased adrenergic activity. But bradycardia can be found in a person with anxiety disorder because of other factors: If you are taking beta-bloc...  Read Full »

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full »

Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I have gone through the report that you have provided. He is having the tachycardia-bradycardia syndrome. In this case, the pacemaker avoids his bradycardia episodes only. For his tachycardia episodes, drugs can be given. Sometimes the drug controls it perfectly...  Read Full »

My heart rate is low at rest and increases with exercise. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male, no known health problems. My only symptom is a slow resting heart rate. I have seen it as low as 45. I feel perfectly fine, no syncope or dizziness. I am not an athlete so I do not know why it is so low. Is this cause for concern? With heart block, the heart ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normal heart rate should be between 60 to 100 beats per minute. You are having bradycardia. It can be idiopathic without any cause. But it is better to get physically examined and if needed accordingly investigation can be planned. Rule out hypothyroidism by serum T...  Read Full »

Why is the resting heart rate low in spite of pacemaker?

Query: Hello doctor, My 78 year old father has had a pacemaker for five years. The pacemaker is working. But his heart is becoming weaker and more dependent on the pacemaker. He now has a low resting heart rate. What causes this? What is the treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjib K Sahu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, if the pacemaker is working, then the heartbeat will be the set rate of the pacemaker machine. If the heart rate is below the set rate then the pacemaker is not working properly. Kindly get his pacemaker checked with the pacemaker company. Please...  Read Full »