Q. My friend suffers with low heart rate after head injury. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

This query is with regard to one of my friends. He got an accident five months back. He was hospitalized in ICU. Blood came from his ear and so had a CT scan done.

An ENT doctor said that his ear is fine and no hearing problem. Later he was shifted to his native. He was in ICU there. His oxygen level is up to 97% and heart beat 50 bpm.

He is in conscious state of mind and understands everything. He recognized everyone. Also all kind of bleeding has stopped. He is with saline and local antibiotics only. A neurosurgeon advised for an operation now. So, I need a second opinion here. Thanks in advance.

#

We are here to help you.

Probably your friend has got head injury that is causing the brain edema which is causing the low heart rate known as bradycardia.

He should get a repeat CT done.

We usually give saline, antibiotics and Mannitol to reduce the swelling that is in brain edema.

If no relief or edema increases that is determined by clinical signs including both the pupils we go ahead for surgery.

Revert back after the repeat CT scan to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|