Q. Will doing amateur fighting and sparring with headgear cause long term brain damage?

Dr. Aida Quka

I am a 21-year-old male. I want to start amateur fighting, sparring, with headgear how likely is long term damage? Is it more with continuous high impact to the head, or one serious blow could ruin it? I am a physicist and value my reasoning a lot, I just wonder how dangerous is it.

Do you have a question on Brain Damage or Stroke?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Aida Quka

FACULTY OF MEDICINE, UNIVERSITY OF TIRANA., NEUROLOGY POST GRADUATION DEGREE, UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL CENTER
Neurology

I understand your concern and would explain that headgear or amateur fighting can lead to chronic damage to the brain (related to the repeated trauma). This can lead to small strokes and an increased risk of dementia in the future. It can also lead to increased risk of intracranial bleeding, due to the head trauma. As a Neurologist, I would not recommend this type of sport, as it can lead to irreversible changes in the brain.

Also Read Answers From: Brain Damage Stroke Dementia

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?
Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full >>
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully went through your question and the patient's medical history. I reviewed her medical report and the uploaded brain MRI study (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that those changes are indicative of small vessel disease, whic...  Read Full >>

What could be the cause for severe headaches?
Query: Hi doctor, I am experiencing severe headaches. I have not slept in two days. I am having erratic thoughts, more so than usual which scares me a bit, to be honest. I feel like I am on the verge of a breakdown. I have had two psychotic breakdowns in the last two years. The headaches are getting worse....  Read Full >>
Dr. Parth Singh
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The nature of pain you described fits into the diagnosis of vascular headache. It merely occurs due to dilation of blood vessels in the scalp and inflammation of perivascular tissues. Although it causes significant discomfort, it is a very benign illness and has nothing...  Read Full >>

Can prolonged stress cause any damage to the brain?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from fatigue for more than two years now. I am a 34-year-old otherwise healthy male, all blood, hormone, vitamin tests have come back perfect. However, it started after a long and intense panic disorder, which lasted for months and almost drove me to suicide. What s...  Read Full >>
Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand and empathize you. During a panic attack or any stress, our adrenaline level is so high. This is the hormone for fight and flight and to relieve from this condition, Clonazepam acts as a relaxing agent. This is normal for any person and this medicine...  Read Full >>

Ask a Doctor Now