Q. Can stroke cause altered sensation in face?

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Six months back, I had a bad sinus infection with a cough that caused a left internal carotid artery dissection. I had a stroke as well that left infarcts on my left parietal lobe and caused problems with my speech and I was not able to use my cellphone correctly. Thankfully I had no lingering damage. Two months back, I had my 3 month MRI rescan and it said the artery had healed and the infarcts were smaller. I have had a sinus infection again which started about a week and a half ago with a cough again.

Earlier in the week I was having on and off dizzy spells for a few days and that has passed. Now I am having sensations in the right side of my face around my cheekbone, cheek, top of right lip, around the right side of my nose. I can also feel it around my right bicep, and sometimes my right calf. There is no drooping of my smile or eyebrows. I can raise my arms without drooping. Everything seems to work correctly. These sensations have been going on for at least four days. I have sleep apnea so I sleep with a full face mask and I lay on my right side with my right arm under my head. What could these sensations be?

#

Post stroke, during periods of illness, fever, cold, etc., previous symptoms of stroke may reappear but to lesser degree. They usually go away as the illness resolve. It does not mean you have new stroke. With left parietal stroke, one can expect sensory symptoms over right side and depending on your location, body part, need to see your previous MRI which can help identify if your face region was in previous stroke region or scar tissue is there. If you are very concerned, then you can go for another MRI brain to look for any new stroke.

MRI brain if symptom worsen or if no scar tissue in facial region on previous MRI

|