Q. I am not sure my contractions are Braxton Hicks or early signs of labor. Please help.

Dr. Vidya Muralidhar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am 20 weeks into my pregnancy. I am not sure if what I am feeling is Braxton Hicks contractions or an early sign of labor.

#

The Braxton Hicks contractions are mild in intensity and vague in frequency. These contractions hardly cause much discomfort to the pregnant woman.

The labor contractions are dull in nature, to begin with, and go on increasing in intensity. Labor contractions are often associated with a bleeding or discharge from the vagina. This requires attention.

|