Labour Contractions

Will contraction with 0 station indicate false labor pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 31 weeks pregnant. I have been having contractions for six days straight now. They started at 20 minutes apart, then got closer. They have been two minutes apart lasting an average of 54 seconds for three days. They have not let up or have stopped. I went to the hospital and they...  Read Full »

Dr. Uphar Gupta

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Braxton Hicks contractions do occur about six weeks prior to labor but are generally not associated with effacement. If they were real labor pains you should have started fetal descent from 0 stations by now as well. Now, if the intensity of the pains are increasing...  Read Full »

I am pregnant and have sharp pain in lower left side that is coming every couple minutes. Is this labor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 weeks pregnant. I have sharp pain in lower left side that is coming every couple minutes but does not last long. Is this the start of labor? I am also possibly leaking amniotic fluid but I am not entirely sure since there is not a lot.  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing today? As you said most probably it is the beginning of labor pain. Usually cervix, the mouth of uterus is slightly to the left. Pain usually lasts for a few seconds only, but reappears. Do not worry. Minimal vaginal discharge with this pain indicates ...  Read Full »

What should be done after having mild labor contractions all day?

Query: Hi doctor, I am pregnant with my first child and I am 39 weeks and 3 days. I have been having mild contractions all day. For the past hour, they have been really intense and I have felt a lot of pressure. The midwife has told me not to come in as my contractions are still two minutes apart. I have ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. This is not crowning, this is the last phase of the second stage of labor when the head of the baby is on your perineum. The rate of contractions will occur once in 2 to 3 minutes and will last for around 30 to 45 seconds. I would advise you to go in, as y...  Read Full »

Is normal delivery possible if the baby weighs more?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife has completed 39 weeks of pregnancy. We got an ultrasound yesterday, and the report is completely normal. But her labor pain is not getting induced, so the doctor is suggesting cesarean, as the baby's weight is 3.65 kg. My wife would like to have a normal delivery by inducing pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is normal. No, delivery is risk-free, normal or caesarean. If her BP (blood pressure) and blood sugar are normal, then there is no contraindication to normal delivery. Regarding the cha...  Read Full »

Being pregnant, suffering from pain in lower abdomen and back. Is it labour pain?

Query: Hello doctor, Since last few days my wife (she is pregnant) is suffering from pain in the lower abdomen and back. We have visited our gynaecologist to watch whether the pain is due to labour or not. After checking, he said the pain is not for labour. He prescribed pain killer Duvadilan retard (Isoxs...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The ultrasound report is perfectly fine and the baby is average 36 weeks of gestation and head down position, placenta is normal and so is the AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index) and weight of t...  Read Full »

I am 35 weeks pregnant, and I am having contractions every six minutes. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35.3 weeks pregnant. When I turned 35 weeks, my mucus plug fell out, and I started having contractions every six minutes apart consistently. I went to the hospital and was 1.5 cm dilated. They could not do anything, so they sent me home. I was wondering if it was fine to start tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Shalaka Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are 35.3 weeks pregnant, and only the mucus plug fell off, so I believe that it was just sticky white secretion that came out. Dilation of 1.5 cm, which must not be progressing might be the reason for sending you home. I expect that you have received injection Beta...  Read Full »

How to differentiate between Braxton Hicks contractions and early labor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 weeks into my pregnancy. I am not sure if what I am feeling is Braxton Hicks contractions or an early sign of labor.  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The Braxton Hicks contractions are mild in intensity and vague in frequency. These contractions hardly cause much discomfort to the pregnant woman. The labor contractions are dull in nature, to begin with, and go on increasing in intensity. Labor contractions ar...  Read Full »

Is labor induction necessary or can we wait for few days?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is 29 years, 4 ft and 11 inches. She is now 39 weeks pregnant and her weight is 56.8 kg. I am attaching today's scan report. The doctor said her AFI is 8.2 (low) and fetal weight is 3 kg which is a little high for her. So, the doctor is suggesting induction labor. My question is...  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The due date keeps changing, but the EDD given at early pregnancy is only to be followed. So, according to which your due date is 17th only. Yes, according to the scan indu...  Read Full »

Is it safe to wait for more than 12 hours for normal delivery of a dead fetus?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister is 26 weeks pregnant, and today they found that the baby's heartbeat has stopped. It has already been more than 12 hours since the baby passed away, but the doctors are waiting for normal delivery. My sister has a fever now. Is it safe for to wait? The doctors are trying to ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your sister's loss. Please do not worry about the treatment that is going on, your doctor is doing the right thing. I know all of you are mentally disturbed about the loss, but this is the right thing. This is the tough part to explain to the mother an...  Read Full »