Q. Is normal delivery possible if the baby weighs more?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife has completed 39 weeks of pregnancy. We got an ultrasound yesterday, and the report is completely normal. But her labor pain is not getting induced, so the doctor is suggesting cesarean, as the baby's weight is 3.65 kg.

My wife would like to have a normal delivery by inducing pain artificially. Our first baby was normally delivered six years ago, by inducing pain artificially when he was 3.33 kg.

My wife is 35 years old, and I am attaching the latest ultrasound reports. Is there any harm to the baby during normal delivery in our case?

Is there any chance of the head or shoulder getting stuck? Is the baby's weight more than normal?

What is the possibility of normal delivery after inducing pain? Thanks and regards.

#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is normal.

No, delivery is risk-free, normal or caesarean. If her BP (blood pressure) and blood sugar are normal, then there is no contraindication to normal delivery.

Regarding the chances of the head getting stuck, it can be assessed only at the onset of labor by internal physical examination of her pelvis and relative size to head of the baby. A baby of this size may be delivered vaginally, but many parameters should be optimum.

She had normal delivery six years back, she is 35 now, her pelvic bones and muscles may have become less stretchable, and she may not get good enough contractions, and the labor may become prolonged in that case the baby in the womb may get less oxygen.

These are possibilities that may or may not happen, if she goes into labor, she and the baby has to be carefully monitored, and if the things do not go wrong, then she may deliver normally. Until the outcome, no prediction can be made with surety.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|