Q. Is normal delivery possible if the baby weighs more?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife has completed 39 weeks of pregnancy. We got an ultrasound yesterday, and the report is completely normal. But her labor pain is not getting induced, so the doctor is suggesting cesarean, as the baby's weight is 3.65 kg.

My wife would like to have a normal delivery by inducing pain artificially. Our first baby was normally delivered six years ago, by inducing pain artificially when he was 3.33 kg.

My wife is 35 years old, and I am attaching the latest ultrasound reports. Is there any harm to the baby during normal delivery in our case?

Is there any chance of the head or shoulder getting stuck? Is the baby's weight more than normal?

What is the possibility of normal delivery after inducing pain? Thanks and regards.

#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is normal.

No, delivery is risk-free, normal or caesarean. If her BP (blood pressure) and blood sugar are normal, then there is no contraindication to normal delivery.

Regarding the chances of the head getting stuck, it can be assessed only at the onset of labor by internal physical examination of her pelvis and relative size to head of the baby. A baby of this size may be delivered vaginally, but many parameters should be optimum.

She had normal delivery six years back, she is 35 now, her pelvic bones and muscles may have become less stretchable, and she may not get good enough contractions, and the labor may become prolonged in that case the baby in the womb may get less oxygen.

These are possibilities that may or may not happen, if she goes into labor, she and the baby has to be carefully monitored, and if the things do not go wrong, then she may deliver normally. Until the outcome, no prediction can be made with surety.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Is labor induction necessary or can we wait for few days?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is 29 years, 4 ft and 11 inches. She is now 39 weeks pregnant and her weight is 56.8 kg. I am attaching today's scan report. The doctor said her AFI is 8.2 (low) and fetal weight is 3 kg which is a little high for her. So, the doctor is suggesting induction labor. My question is...  Read Full »

What are the risks of pregnancy in women over 40?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a c-section with my first pregnancy 19 years ago. I have fallen in love with a wonderful man who does not have kids. I and my fiance have been discussing and are planning to have a baby. I am concerned if I am able to have a VBAC delivery with my second pregnancy since my first pre...  Read Full »

I got fever after c-section. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a C-section a month ago. I was in induced pain for over 16 hours and had spiked fever due to the medicines which continued after surgery along with night sweats. I was advised to take Dolo 650 and Augmentin 1000 Duo, which I continued to take for 10 to 15 days. But, I was not gettin...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»