Q. I am 35 weeks pregnant, and I am having contractions every six minutes. What to do?

Dr. Shalaka Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 35.3 weeks pregnant. When I turned 35 weeks, my mucus plug fell out, and I started having contractions every six minutes apart consistently. I went to the hospital and was 1.5 cm dilated. They could not do anything, so they sent me home. I was wondering if it was fine to start trying to have him come out, considering I am still having contractions? It has been consistent for the past two days straight. The doctor at the hospital told me it would be fine. But, I wanted a second opinion. Is it fine if I try to speed up the process?

Dr. Shalaka Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• You are 35.3 weeks pregnant, and only the mucus plug fell off, so I believe that it was just sticky white secretion that came out. Dilation of 1.5 cm, which must not be progressing might be the reason for sending you home.
  • I expect that you have received injection Betamethasone (steroid injection), two doses for lung maturity of your baby.
  • With two days of contractions, dilation would have progressed if it would have been true labor. This may be a case of false labor. It is advisable to augment the labor if the patient has completed 37 weeks when the baby's lung maturity is complete, and baby does not develop breathing difficulties outside of the womb.
  • So in my opinion, wait for the nature to take its natural course. Sticky white discharge may be normal. Please visit a hospital if you have watery discharge or blood stained discharge.

Hope this helps you. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|