Q. My checkup result shows 0 station with mild contractions. Is this false labor pain?

Dr. Uphar Gupta

I am 31 weeks pregnant. I have been having contractions for six days straight now. They started at 20 minutes apart, then got closer. They have been two minutes apart lasting an average of 54 seconds for three days. They have not let up or have stopped. I went to the hospital and they said there has not been enough change in my cervix and sent me home and said not to come back unless I start bleeding. During the last checkup, I was 100% effaced, 2 cm, and 0 stations. I have been leaking clear fluid like crazy, but when I called they said it was probably a discharge. My legs and feet are very swollen. I know something is not right, but they refuse to run any tests because they believe it is false labor. What do I do?

#

Braxton Hicks contractions do occur about six weeks prior to labor but are generally not associated with effacement. If they were real labor pains you should have started fetal descent from 0 stations by now as well. Now, if the intensity of the pains are increasing between contractions then they are true labor pains and if not they are false labor pains.

Ladies tend to gain weight because of hemodilution and edema in pregnancy i.e. swelling of the feet, it is a normal part of pregnancy. Leaking per vaginum is again significant. If it looks like water and starts suddenly, I would request you to reach the nearest hospital as soon as possible.

I would finally suggest you meet your gynecologist and request NST (nonstress test) for the fetus and examination of the cervix.

|