Q. Should I take an emergency pill if my partner used a condom?

Dr. Vidya
Published on Aug 28, 2017

I had sex yesterday afternoon. It was on the 14th day of my menstrual cycle. It was a protected sex. My partner used a condom and ejaculated inside it. Now, I am confused whether to take an emergency contraceptive pill or not. I personally do not want to take one because I am worried about the side effects of the pill. But, on the other hand, I am worried about getting pregnant too. I have PCOD and am taking ayurvedic treatment for the same since the last four months. Please help.

Dr. Vidya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Condoms have a failure rate of 15 percent and can cause pregnancy. However, we do not always recommend emergency contraception if you have used a condom. If you have used it correctly and felt that there was no condom breakage or leakage from them, there is no need to take a pill or worry about pregnancy. You need to decide.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

We used the condom correctly. There was no slipping or tearing of the condom. Moreover, my partner is sure. It is only me who is scared.

Dr. Vidya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Then, you do not have to worry and there is no need to take the pill.

Relax.

| 

Will taking the first four Yasmin pills stop unwanted pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiancee took four Yasmin pills as emergency contraception. But after that, she felt so weak and had heavy breathing. So due to that, we decided not to take another four pills after 12 hours. Will the first four pills stop unplanned pregnancy? That was taken within less than 30 hour...  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

I skipped my birth control pill and started spotting. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, I went abroad a few days after my period ended. I start birth control on the last day or the day after the last usually. On the second day of my vacation, I started spotting and that has lasted till now. It has been about 10 days. I have been taking my birth control throughout. I only jus...  Read Full »