Q. Is it advisable to carry on surgery for stage 4 breast cancer?

Dr. Sivaprakash Rathinasamy
Published on Jan 12, 2019

Today my mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer stage 4. She is having a fracture in the hip bone for two days and was admitted in hospital for that. Later, it was diagnosed as cancer. They are planning to do surgery for fracture and after that chemotherapy. Now she is unable to walk or sit. Is there any risk in doing surgery at this stage 4 of cancer? What are the treatment for this stage? What is the prognosis? Please give us a reply.

Dr. Sivaprakash Rathinasamy

Surgical Oncology
#

She needs PET-CT whole body scan to establish the sites of metastasis involved all over the body. Breast cancer only with bone metastasis has a good prognosis. She needs six cycles of chemotherapy first and then reassessment. Surgery is indicated for spine or bone for fixation of fracture and local radiotherapy. Surgery or radiation for breast is not warranted at present. If the spread involves liver, lung or brain other than bone, then prognosis will be bad.

Related Video

Grade 3 dislocation of ACL. Is surgery compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband dislocated his ACL. I would like to get his X-rays evaluated for a second opinion. He was diagnosed with grade III dislocation. Is surgery necessary based on the X-rays attached? What are the risks if he does not operate? How does non-operative treatment compare? How long d...  Read Full »

For breast cancer, should we do chemo first or surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and had a right mastectomy. She however did not have chemo or radiation. She has a little extra fat to the lateral area of the breast that after surgery it looked like a small third breast. Right over the old incision has de...  Read Full »

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

Ask a Surgical Oncologist Now