Q. For breast cancer, should we do chemo first or surgery?

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Published on May 16, 2016

My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and had a right mastectomy. She however did not have chemo or radiation. She has a little extra fat to the lateral area of the breast that after surgery it looked like a small third breast. Right over the old incision has developed a large ulcerative cauliflower-like wound. The tumor is protruding and is very vascular. It currently has no odor, but it is bright red and bleeds excessively once the dressing is removed. She is 86 years old with a history of high blood pressure, COPD, CHF, diabetes, CAD, TIA and pacemaker. She still ambulates, alert and oriented. Also she understands what is going on. We visited the oncologist and were told she will either need to undergo chemo or radiation. The surgeon, who did mastectomy, is recommending surgery to remove the protruding tumor. Which is the best option to do first? My family is very leery about her ability to handle chemo and frankly does not want her to have chemo. We know that removing it does not cure the cancer. Should we do radiation first then remove it with surgery? If we were to consider chemo should we do some cycles first then remove it with surgery? Which option would you say is the safest route? We want to keep her around many more years if we can. Thanks for your time.

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Here are my suggestions:

Assuming that you want to undergo full treatment, the best method would be to start chemo and radiotherapy. The cycles of chemotherapy will depend on the medicine chosen by your oncologist. This will reduce the tumor size. Then go ahead with the surgery and then complete the treatment with further cycles of chemo and radiotherapy. Another option is surgery followed by a few cycles of chemo and radiotherapy.

The above options are important because if left untreated, the site may get infected. Other complications are of course to be considered. The other option is no treatment at all. Just palliative medicines to keep her comfortable. This way she can live a comfortable life considering that you have said she is stable. Please note that I am just explaining the option. The choice of treatment would be your decision. I suggest getting a PET scan before deciding.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Related Video

How to make sure that I do not have any cancer cell in my body?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with T2 N2 nasopharynx cancer, a non-keratinizing disease. I had two chemotherapy and then had an MRI scan. There is no tumor in the nasal area. Do I need IMRT radiation?  Read Full >>

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy both needed to be given. Later, you have to be on follow up every two months in the first year and three months for the second year. MRI can say that the volume has gone, but carcinoma is a mucosa or epithelial disease. Only PET scan and ne...  Read Full

How to improve WBC count following chemotherapy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I am suffering from acute lymphoblastic lymphoma and I am going to finish my last chemotherapy. My WBC count has reduced due to discontinuation of GCSF. After the completion of chemotherapy session, how to recover WBC count? Please suggest me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. GCSF (granulocyte-colony stimulating factor) is given for immediate recovery followed by chemotherapy as chemotherapy causes excessive suppression of the bone marrow. The body has its own mechanism to produce GCSF and it will take usually a few weeks to start producing an...  Read Full

My father has severe diarrhea after chemotherapy for colon cancer. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 43 years old father has colon cancer. He had undergone hemicolectomy laparoscopic surgery, and he is currently undergoing chemotherapy with Xelox (Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine). I am here to ask you about the side effects of chemo that my father is experiencing from the first cycle...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rakesh Mittal
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Diarrhea could be due to surgery or chemotherapy or both. Normally, the patients should not have this much diarrhea. If it remains uncontrolled, you may have to stop chemotherapy for some days.Weight loss is common in this condition. After chemotherapy, he should be fine. A...  Read Full