Q. My hands feel numb after cancer treatment. Should I visit ER?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I am finishing the last part of my treatment for breast cancer. About a month ago, I started having numbness and tingling in arms and hands. It wakes me up through the night. I just recently started working in a grocery store, which is very physically demanding. It lands me with endless knots in my back, neck and shoulders. I was rubbing the knots out of my neck tonight and I got a little dizzy.  It went away, but now three of my fingers on my right hand feels numb and painful. I am wondering if I should go to the emergency room. My oncologist is about two hours away. I am a 48 year old female. I had a lumpectomy before two months with a partial node biopsy.

#

• I think you are on Paclitaxel weekly regimen. If yes, then this numb feeling is a side effect of chemotherapy. Please inform if you are taking any other chemotherapy.
  • If it is bothering you in daily life too much, then I suggest Pregabalin. Also, bring it to your oncologist notice, because we might need to change the drug or even stop it if it is more than certain grade.
  • Also, I suggest Vitamin B12 supplementation. These side effects are only partially reversible, so do not neglect.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|