Q. What do I need to know about breast cancer?

Dr. Shravana Kumar Chinnikatti
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

What should a woman need to know about breast cancer? What are the ways to prevent it? Does genetics play a role? How to cope up with it, if diagnosed, etc.?

#

1.All men and women need to know about breast cancer as it is one of the most common cancers. It is both sporadic and familial. Early detection and treatment increase the maximum of five to ten years over all survival.

2.The only way to prevent is early detection by mammogram and sonograms in high-risk cases and strict community screening procedure implementation for all females after 40 years. Early effective genetic testing has to be done.

3.Role of genetics is the detection and effective testing of BRCA (BReast CAncer gene) 1 and 2 in all familial and sporadic breast and ovarian cancers. Genetic testings are done to risk categorization of the case and to select targeted and personalized treatment for each patient.

4.A positive attitude and an early practical multidisciplinary approach are the way to cope with breast cancer when diagnosed.

|