Q. What are the small clustered cystic areas seen in the left breast.

Answered by Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Breast Cyst or Mammogram? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
M.D MEDICAL ONCOLOGY., NFPM., ESMO., MRCP
Medical Oncology

Nothing to worry about. Multiple small clustered lesions are benign (non-cancerous) cystic lesions. But you should do a baseline bilateral mammogram screening also (if not done early) and enroll in a breast screening clinic and a follow up every six monthly or yearly as per their screening protocol. In case you have any first-degree relative diagnosed with breast or ovarian cancer or any other cancer, then it is better to go for a genetic counseling also. The following conditions increase the risk for breast cancer:

1. A family history of cancer.
  2. Early menarche or late menopause.
  3. Women without children.
  4. Hormone (estrogen) replacement therapy.
  5. Obesity, alcohol, and smoking, etc.

So be relaxed and just follow up a breast clinic. It is recommended in many countries after 40 years.

For more information consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

She also feels pain in left hand and on the left back side. Are these related to the cysts in left breast?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Medical Oncology

welcome back to icliniq.com.

Usually, benign cystic lesions of the breast have no relation to the pain in hand or left side of the back. You should consult an orthopedician he will do an X-ray neck to rule out cervical spondylosis or any other musculoskeletal problem. Regarding breast, if you have done a mammogram just attach that report next time.

These are all about my elder sister. She finds some discharge which is not red in color but slightly reddish. It is like water sticky. This occurs in the mid of menstrual cycle. Could you please tell me why this happens? No pain, nothing. Only this discharge.

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Medical Oncology

Nipple discharge during menstruation is usually due to changes in hormonal levels in the body. That usually occurs in both the breasts. But if the discharge is red in color or bloody or with smell then it needs evaluation. Analysis of the nipple discharge plus mammogram. Depends upon age, medical history, and clinical examination. For me, it looks just a normal nipple discharge due to hormonal changes in the body. But without examining physically it is difficult to comment.

It is not from nipple but from the vagina. Just like menstruation but not so red but reddish water, like spotting that occurs in the mid of menstrual cycle.

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Medical Oncology

It is usually normal phenomenon during menstruation. Because menstrual blood contains mucus, vaginal discharge, and endometrial tissue, etc. Sometimes old retained blood changes its color and makes it brownish like. So It is usually a normalthing, but if you are more suspicious, contact a gynecologist.

It occurs from the 10th or 12th day of menstruation and continues for many days till next menstruation.

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Medical Oncology

That means it continues for a long time, almost two weeks. Then it is better to consult a gynecologist. They will examine and may do an ultrasound of pelvis to check ovaries and uterus. They may also advise some hormonal tests.

I think I have skin necrosis after a cyst removal surgery. Or is it just infection?
Query: Hello doctor, I got a cyst removed from my breast and now I think I have skin necrosis. It seemed to be healing fine but I thought the stitches dissolved a bit soon. First, I had a huge bruise, then I got a scab off to the side of the incision. The scab went away within a couple days and skin seems...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems like the wound has got infected. I would suggest a course of an oral antibiotic either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin for a week or 10 days. Consult your spec...  Read Full »

Do you think my chest pain is heart related?
Query: Hi doctor, My doctor started me on Wellbutrin and I have body aches. A real bad pressure is on the little left of center and it is constant for at least 24 hours. Only, cold compress dulls the pain. Do you think this can be heart related? Should I stop the Wellbutrin? I have had an issue with fluid ...  Read Full »
Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Women are by default on less cardiac risk before the age of 65 years. An early presentation of cardiac disease is highly unlikely in females unless they are smokers. You have not mentioned your smoking habits. If the pain is always there in your left chest area, then it ...  Read Full »

What does waterlike vaginal discharge indicate?
Query: Hi doctor, My aunt is 31 years old and had her uterus removed 11 years ago. From then she never had the periods nor any discharge. It was all alright until a month ago. She had suddenly started experiencing waterlike vaginal discharge which is little smelly, and it hurts in stomach sometimes. When s...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there were few more facts about your aunt regarding the indication for uterus removal, any follow-ups, diabetic status, her sexual life, etc., would have been helpful. At the age of 31 years, the most probable cause is an infection. I put forth the possibilities a...  Read Full »

What is the cause for scoliosis and leg trembling?
Why does puberphonia occur?
Effects of Sleep on Your Health

Also Read Answers From