Q. 3D mammography showed calcifications in the right breast. Do I need to worry?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2021

I just moved, so I do not have an OB or internist to ask these questions. I did my yearly mammogram in 3D for the first time. I did bring my past images, but they were not in 3D. I got a call back for calcifications of the right breast, and it was recommended that I get three additional images. I am anxious because I thought that 3D was meant to see calcifications very well. But, they said the report is very vague, it did not mention the size, shape, or pattern of the calcifications. Do I need to worry? I was adopted, so I do not know my family history. I have had cysts in that area before.

#

I saw your mammogram report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, it is very vague, no information about size and number of calcified areas.
  • Calcification is due deposition of calcium over years, as is normally benign. Ther is a minimal chance of it getting malignant.
  • You need to redo the mammogram, and if required, a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) can be done to know exact nature of the calcified mass.

I hope this will reduce your tension to some extent.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. Do I need to be more concerned as this was a 3D mammogram? Or does that not really make a difference? I had a call back a few years ago, again at a new facility, and they just wanted to make sure that they saw things properly, because I am so dense. I thought 3D corrected that problem with dense breasts.

#

There is no need to be more concerned.

• A 3D mammogram does not imply that the condition is more severe, it just gives you better details of the lesion.
  • If the breast tissues are dense, then 3D mammography helps in more specification of the lesion.
  • But, your report is not complete, and you cannot rely on this report.

|