Can my wife use Serrax-D while breastfeeding?

Q. Can my wife use Serrax-D while breastfeeding?

Answered by
Dr. Babu Lal Meena
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 22, 2023

Hello doctor,

My wife is 27 years old. Her weight is 132 pounds and height is 5 feet 4 inches. She developed a wound on her left thigh a few days back. We ignored it at first. Later, the surrounding area started swelling. Now, the swelling has reached till the lymph nodes. We went to a gynecologist here. She told that lot of infection had developed. The doctor prescribed Taxim-O 200 (Cefixime) to be taken in the morning and night along with Metrogyl 400 (Metronidazole) three tablets a day and Serax-D (Serratiopeptidase and Diclofenac potassium) to be taken in the morning and night. My wife is currently breastfeeding our 5 months old baby. So, we asked the doctor whether those medications are safe during lactation. She told that it is fine. However, based on what I read on the internet the first two tablets are moderately safe during lactation and may not pose any significant risk to the baby, whereas the third one is contraindicated during lactation. As per the doctor, the third medicine is required for her cure and is safe to take. Can you let me know whether the medications are safe to take during lactation? Can my wife continue breastfeeding normally? Our baby does not take powder milk and was vomiting when we tried bottled milk in the past. We need your valuable inputs. My wife does not have any other medical conditions. Our baby was born underweight (4.85 pounds) and is currently 11.9 pounds. Other than the low weight, she is usually active.



Welcome to Your concern is right.

The drug Serax-D, a combination of Serratiopeptidase and Diclofenac potassium should not be advised in case of pregnancy or with lactation. Although it does cause problems like diarrhea, bleeding and rash, data is lacking regarding safety in such kids. This may be the personal experience of your gynecologist, as they may not have seen any bad effects and so they are using it. But, according to literature, we should not use it. There is no clear indication of this medicine in your case. Use of antibiotics and analgesics can heal the wound. So, my conclusive advice is to stop Serratiopeptidase and continue the rest of the medicine. Please discuss my opinion with the treating doctor and stop the medicine with consent. A little advice for the baby's weight; breastfeed her until six months of age. Do not use formula feed. After six months, start a cereal-based diet to ensure adequate weight gain.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals ... There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be i   Read full

Kindly suggest medicines for piles and blood in stools.

.. suggest the following to manage your painful piles. I suggest you start antibiotics preferably Ciplox TZ (Ciprofloxacin and Tinidazole) tablet twice daily. I also suggest you start tablet Lyser DP (Diclofenac, Serratiopeptidase, and Paracetamol) tw   Read full

Is it necessary to do a surgery for inflamed eye carbuncle?

.. you are taking antibiotics, in addition to it, take anti-inflammatory drops like Flurbiprofen eye drops. If still severe pain or redness, you may need oral anti-inflammatory drugs like Serratiopeptidase.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.