Q. Is it necessary to do a surgery for inflamed eye carbuncle?

Answered by
Dr. Manish Mahabir
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Nov 01, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have a small ball in the corner of my left eye, (on my nose side). I have looked it up and apparently, it is an inflamed eye carbuncle. The surrounding area inside my eye is becoming increasingly red. Please what is the regular treatment for this? Do I need surgery? I am taking antibiotic eye drops, prescribed yesterday by a general doctor. The drops are named Ofloxacin.

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Good that you are taking antibiotics, in addition to it, take anti-inflammatory drops like Flurbiprofen eye drops. If still severe pain or redness, you may need oral anti-inflammatory drugs like Serratiopeptidase. Do apply hot compresses. No surgery required for now. See an eye doctor nearby. Take care.

Thank you doctor,

I appreciate your prompt response and explanation. Would you mind letting me know if I can be exposed to the sun? If you could comment on the probable cause for this? Is it common?

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Exposure to the Sun should not aggravate the problem. In case you feel uncomfortable in the Sun, you may use goggles. It may happen due to infection or due to exposure to an irritant or allergic substances. Avoid exposure to seawater till you get well. Keep a close watch. Do see an ophthalmologist if the problem aggravates. Take care.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Most helpful Homeopathic Remedies for Diabetes

Article Overview: Diabetes is a group of diseases that are caused due to the imbalance or excess of sugar (glucose) in the body and this affects how your body uses the sugar. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Glucose is the main source of energy for your body. It not only helps make up our body cells, muscles and tissues but also acts as fuel for our brain. The glucose or sugar levels have to be maintained fairly constant in the body. The excess of sugar in the body leads to various health problems. Cau...  Read Article

I have frequent eye infection with pus and blood discharge. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Since last 7 to 8 months I am having an eye infection, like a stye. It is getting frequent almost after every 3 to 4 weeks. I recollect having collided with somebody about one and half years back, hurt on my right eye with somebody's elbow and had a swollen eye, very painful and under...  Read Full »

My eyes are paining as I slept with contact lenses. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I am using contact lenses daily. But yesterday, I slept with it in my eyes. When I woke up, my eyes were red and itching. It is painful, and water is coming out continuously from my eyes. Please help.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.