Q. I am breastfeeding and trying to get pregnant. Please help.

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2020

I am trying to get pregnant but I am breastfeeding. I only had two periods after giving birth, but I do not have a period in over two months. What can help me conceive without giving up breastfeeding?

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

May I ask how long it has been since your last delivery? From your given history of breastfeed, I can understand that your baby is still quite small and so I would suggest until he or she is at least three to four years of age before trying to conceive again. This is so that in between deliveries your body needs time to recover and repair itself. If you get pregnant too soon it will adversely affect your baby.

As your cycles have not yet regularized it implies that you may not be ovulating regularly. This can happen sometimes during breastfeeding. It will resume order on its own. I would suggest you start the following iron and calcium tablets as well as folic acid.

1. Tablet Livogen XT once daily at night with lemon water.

2. Tablet Calcimax 500 mg once daily.

3. Tablet Folvite 5 mg once daily if you are planning to conceive.

Please continue to breastfeed your baby regardless of whether your periods come or not. And kindly consider what I have explained above.

| 

Despite ovulation induction, I did not get pregnant. What to do now?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old. My height is 5'1" and my weight is 61 kg. I am a bit overweight. I have pcod problem. I got married 2 years back and I cannot get pregnant. I had Clomid and hCG injections twice. Both were failed. But, doctor said that my egg growth is good. I have attached my hormon...  Read Full »

Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Article Overview: There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding, so here are some tips for the new mothers.  Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Lactation Counselor

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals. There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be in a confused state regarding breastfeeding. Here are some tips for the new mothers. When Should One St...  Read Article

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now