Q. 16 year old with no breast development. Please help.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Jan 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 06, 2019

My sister is 16 years old and extremely worried about her breasts. There is no development in them at all, what so ever. There is no breast bump, they are the same size as they were when she was 5. She has had her period for two years and has pubic hair. What is wrong with her breasts? Could estrogen help in any way? It gets her down so much and it is all she can think about when she wakes up and when she goes to sleep. It makes her cry herself to sleep every single night and wake up wishing she had breasts. She feels horrible like this. She feels like a boy. Please help her. She is desperate. She went to a doctor but they were absolutely no help.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and I can empathize with you.

Sometimes, a girl's breast can develop a bit later than most of the other girls her age.

You said that she is 16 and got her periods two years ago. That means at the age of 14 years. So, it was later than most girls her age. So, naturally, her breast can grow later too.

There is nothing to worry about. There are many options.

Firstly, we have to know whether all her hormones are normal or not and treat accordingly. Secondly, we can always have a breast implant surgery if nothing works on the medical side. Ask her to eat a well-balanced diet. Stop worrying.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Will extra week off from Capecitabine affect the breast tumor growth?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer. She finished six months of chemotherapy nine months back and had a radical mastectomy two months later. She is now taking Capecitabine for four months 14 days on and 7 days off. The Capecitabine gave her diarrhea so her oncolog...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Triple-negative breast is usually having a poor prognosis as compared to other types of breast cancer. She has completed six months of chemo followed by surgery. Now the patient is on Capecitabine. The side effects of Capecitabine are loose motions,vomiting, low blood c...  Read Full

My 6.3 year old daughter has breast buds. Will Lupron injections help her?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was 6.3 years old when I noticed that she has breast buds. After consulting the pediatric¬†endocrinologist, we went for bone age and pelvic ultrasound tests. Both the tests were age appropriate. She is 4.03 feet tall, and I am 5.6 feet, and my husband is 5.10 feet tall. As ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your daughter, and it appears that your daughter has precocious puberty and therefore it is necessary to give Lupron (Leuprolide acetate) injections. The problem is, if she continues without treatment, then she will reach a bone maturity so...  Read Full

I am 16 years old. How can I reduce gynecomastia without surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 16 year old male with gynecomastia. I weigh 70 kg and I am about 5' 4". How can I reduce gynecomastia without surgery?  Read Full >>

Dr. Tanvi Mayur Patel
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gynecomastia during puberty of your age is normal. It will subside in one year's time on its own. Do not worry about it. If you are overweight or obese, then you must lose weight. No medicine is required right now and please do not develop any complex because of it...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now