Q. My 6. 3 year old daughter has breast buds. Will Lupron injections help her?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2021

My daughter was 6.3 years old when I noticed that she has breast buds. After consulting the pediatric endocrinologist, we went for bone age and pelvic ultrasound tests. Both the tests were age appropriate. She is 4.03 feet tall, and I am 5.6 feet, and my husband is 5.10 feet tall. As she has bilateral breast buds, the doctor wanted to go for monthly Lupron injections, which I denied due to all the side effects. I heard it causes weight gain, depression, and decreases the bone density. Now I am highly confused. Should I go for the treatment? It has been four months, and I have not seen any difference in her breast or any growth acceleration. If yes, then is it worth the risk? Please suggest.

#

• I just read your query about your daughter, and it appears that your daughter has precocious puberty and therefore it is necessary to give Lupron (Leuprolide acetate) injections.
  • The problem is, if she continues without treatment, then she will reach a bone maturity sooner and will be possibly shorter than her predicted height. Normal adult height can be achieved in most cases if treatment is started before bone maturation is too advanced. Normally, bone maturation occurs after 12 years for girls and 13 years for boys.
  • If good gonadal suppression is maintained for several years, this treatment allows growth to continue while dramatically slowing the rate of bone maturation.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|