Q. My 16 year old daughter has PCOS. What are the precautions I need to take?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

My daughter is 16 years old. She has irregular periods. Sometimes, the cycle lasts 15 to 20 days, while on some months, it lasts 40 days. Her doctor advised an ultrasound scan. She was diagnosed with cysts on the right and left ovaries. Her cervix size is 7.5. She was asked to take estrogen tablets from the 15th day of her menstrual cycle for 10 days. I would like to know the cause of this particular problem, and how it would affect my child's health. Does she have to follow a particular diet or exercise? Will she be able to conceive? How long will she have to continue the treatment?

#

Initial periods around puberty can be irregular. If the diagnosis of PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome) is correct, she may require medicines to make her periods regular.

PCOS girls are at a risk of obesity, diabetes, hypertension and endometrial hyperplasia. Many of those can be prevented by a good diet, regular exercise, preventing weight gain and taking progesterone tablets to induce a period, if they are irregular even after the age of 20.

Regarding diet, there is no specific suggestion, but the consumption of fats and refined sugar should be cut down, and fiber intake increased. The calorie intake should be proportional to the calorie expenditure. In general, if she is following the diet and not gaining weight, it would suffice.

Regular sweat-inducing exercise for at least 45 minutes is a must to avoid all the mentioned complications. Exercise is necessary even when she is not overweight.

Regarding pregnancy, there is no need to worry, she can conceive easily with medications, if her periods remain irregular despite following the diet restrictions and exercise. There is no need to worry about it right now.

Following a healthy lifestyle for the entire life is a must.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|