Q. My 16 year old daughter has PCOS. What are the precautions I need to take?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

My daughter is 16 years old. She has irregular periods. Sometimes, the cycle lasts 15 to 20 days, while on some months, it lasts 40 days. Her doctor advised an ultrasound scan. She was diagnosed with cysts on the right and left ovaries. Her cervix size is 7.5. She was asked to take estrogen tablets from the 15th day of her menstrual cycle for 10 days. I would like to know the cause of this particular problem, and how it would affect my child's health. Does she have to follow a particular diet or exercise? Will she be able to conceive? How long will she have to continue the treatment?

#

Initial periods around puberty can be irregular. If the diagnosis of PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome) is correct, she may require medicines to make her periods regular.

PCOS girls are at a risk of obesity, diabetes, hypertension and endometrial hyperplasia. Many of those can be prevented by a good diet, regular exercise, preventing weight gain and taking progesterone tablets to induce a period, if they are irregular even after the age of 20.

Regarding diet, there is no specific suggestion, but the consumption of fats and refined sugar should be cut down, and fiber intake increased. The calorie intake should be proportional to the calorie expenditure. In general, if she is following the diet and not gaining weight, it would suffice.

Regular sweat-inducing exercise for at least 45 minutes is a must to avoid all the mentioned complications. Exercise is necessary even when she is not overweight.

Regarding pregnancy, there is no need to worry, she can conceive easily with medications, if her periods remain irregular despite following the diet restrictions and exercise. There is no need to worry about it right now.

Following a healthy lifestyle for the entire life is a must.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Hypertension - How Aware Are You?

Article Overview: This simple quiz tests your knowledge and teaches you hypertension facts. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Please check the answer key and get to know how much you know about hypertension based on your score. 0-3: You need to learn more 3-6: A little more knowledge is good for health > 6: Keep updating yourself Question 1: Hypertensive patients should avoid exercise a) True b) False Answer:...  Read Article

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25, married and sexually active. I suffered from PCOD for a while, took all sorts of allopathic and homeopathic medicines and when I got scanned two months ago, PCOD was not found. I thought this is the end of my problem but, still, my periods are irregular. Last time, I was la...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»