Q. Kindly explain the growth cycle of a female child.

Dr. Simy Mathew

My daughter is nine years old. She had body odor in the armpit. I was alarmed because it smelled like an adult body odor. She had sweating. A few days ago, she told about her nipple that one nipple looks normal and the other one looks hard. I want to know whether she has reached the puberty stage. I have another daughter. She is 13 years old. She does not have these problems when compared to my younger one. Please help.

#

It is normal to have these findings now because a few kids have it. Normal growth cycle follows these ways. The first one is thelarche. In this, there is a development of the breast. The second one is pubarche. In this, there is a development of pubic hair. Then the next one is menarche. In this one, there is an onset of menses.

In between thelarche and pubarche, there is a growth spurt. So all these occur gradually. It is normal for your child to have this development. You can consult a doctor when there are secondary sexual characters like breast development and growth of pubic hair before eight years of age in a female child.

| 

Why have the periods not started yet in a teenager?

Query: Hello doctor, My 16-year-old has not grown in height in 2.5 to 3 years and has not started her period and is delayed in puberty. Seems to be a late bloomer. She is small (short) for her age and underweight but eats normally. Her bloodwork only shows low prolactin. Everything else is normal. Is ther...  Read Full »

Hair Loss - Common Causes and Hair Care Tips

Article Overview: Scalp hair has cosmetic value. Hair loss has become the most worrisome issue for both men and women. When a man or woman starts losing hair, it makes an impact on the psychological health, self-esteem, and confidence. Read Article

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Hair loss is a common condition faced by people of all age groups. There are various causes for hair loss. Hence understanding hair growth cycle is important to determine if the hair fall is normal or is due to an underlying cause. The Growth Cycle of Hair The human scalp has around one hundred th...  Read Article

What are the possible future complications of early puberty?

Query: Hello doctor, This is regarding my younger daughter's health and I would like to get a second opinion before I take any decision. My younger daughter was 1 year 6 months old when she came to this new place. Last year, when she was 5 years old we had to do a physical examination for getting admiss...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»