Q. Had odd reaction with breast implants. What is your suggestion for new one?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I got my breast implants (saline) removed two years ago. I had them for several years. Suddenly, I started having odd symptoms such as Raynaud's, poor circulation and heat and redness in my hands and feet when hot. Since then I have changed my diet, started supplements, started low dose Naltrexone and solved a lot of histamine and allergy issues with the help of a homeopathic doctor. I felt really good then. Then I had a endometrial surgery. After stopping all my supplements and LDN for a week I felt almost exactly the same before I had implants. I am wondering now whether it was the removal of my implants or my medicines or lifestyle changes that helped me. I have a deformity in my breast now. I would really like to have implants again. What is your suggestion? My ANA is negative and all my blood tests are great.

#

• Well, there is a possibility that the implants have been causing a foreign body reaction.
  • Raynaud's can happen with these devices, as they trigger an immune reaction in the body.
  • Good thing is that your ANA (antinuclear antibody) is negative or else we need to investigate further with it. But as per your history, it does not look like any autoimmune problem which will linger on for longer duration as it improved with diet and removal of implants.
  • But for new implants, I would be a bit skeptical here. The reaction you had was more of foreign body triggered and it was a minor one. It is something unpredictable whether it can trigger something bigger, since you do have a bit of tendency to react to foreign agents.
  • You can discuss it with your breast surgeon for some different implants (other than silicon) which has fewer tendencies for triggering reaction.

Implants triggered immune reaction.

For further information consult a rheumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Thank you for your reply. I know there is a new implant made by Sientra that is not supposed to cause capsular contracture. So, may be that is a better option. I had saline and silicone in the past and most recently saline.

#

• Well, I am not too sure about the implants. You can discuss with your surgeon regarding the biocompatible ones, whcih is the one with less foreign material to induce any reaction.
  • Saline ones are definitely better if you had asked. But, then again surgeons are the best judge for it.
  • Just be careful and keep a watch out on a few symptoms that I have mentioned, which can indicate the reaction.
  1. Oral ulcers.
  2. Excessive hair fall.
  3. Raynaud's.
  4. Rashes over the body, face or trunk.
  5. Joint pains.
  • These are some symptoms which you need to be aware of after the implants.

For further information consult a rheumatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

|