Q. Please clarify my doubts regarding hernia surgery.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 23, 2021

My questions are related to da Vinci bilateral hernia repair with mesh. How long does it take for the tissues to grow into the mesh ultimately? What is the time window for the rejection of the mesh after the surgery? What is the time window for developing an infection after the surgery? Please help.

#

Hernia surgery can be done with two approaches, open surgery or minimal access surgery. The minimal access approach includes either conventional laparoscopic surgery or robotic surgery. Healing allows fibrosis to occur in the surgery area, and the extent of fibrosis is directly proportional to the extent of dissection done during surgery. For these three approaches of hernia surgery, the extent of dissection and the area of fibrosis would be more open than the laparoscopic and robotic approaches. Fibrosis provides strength to any wound during the healing period. The growth of fibrosis starts from the fifth day of the wound, but its strength is very low, and it regains strength like neighboring tissue at approximately three to four months. As fibrosis is very limited in robotic surgery, complete fibrosis over mesh would require two to three months. The possibility of wound infection also depends on the extent of dissection and the amount of blood loss in the surgical field during surgery. Thus, chances for early (first seven days) wound infection or mesh-site infection is extremely low with robotic surgery (less than 1%), and the late infection (after ten days) is very rare. The body readily accepts hernia mesh, and the mesh material accelerates foreign body reaction of healing and promotes fibrosis. There is no possibility of rejection of mesh, which occurs in the transplantation of organs due to antigen-antibody reactions.

|