Q. Please clarify my doubts regarding hernia surgery.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

My questions are related to da Vinci bilateral hernia repair with mesh. How long does it take for the tissues to completely grow into the mesh? What is the time window for rejection of the mesh after the surgery? What is the time window for developing infection after the surgery? Please explain.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

• Hernia surgery can be done with two approaches, open surgery or minimal access surgery.
  • The minimal access approach includes either conventional laparoscopic surgery or robotic surgery.
  • Healing allows fibrosis to occur in the surgery area and the extent of fibrosis is directly proportional to the extent of dissection done during surgery. For these three approaches of hernia surgery, the extent of dissection and the area of fibrosis would be more in open than the laparoscopic and robotic approach.
  • Fibrosis provides strength to any wound during the healing period. The growth of fibrosis starts from the fifth day of the wound, but its strength is very low and it regains strength like neighboring tissue at approximately three to four months.
  • As the extent of fibrosis is very limited in robotic surgery, complete fibrosis over mesh would require two to three months.
  • The possibility of wound infection also depends on the extent of dissection and the amount of blood loss in the surgical field during surgery. Thus, chances for early (first 7 days) wound infection or mesh-site infection is extremely low with robotic surgery (less than 1%) and the late infection (after 10 days) is very rare.
  • Hernia mesh is easily accepted by the body and material of mesh accelerates foreign body reaction of healing and promotes fibrosis. There is no possibility of rejection of mesh, which occur in transplantation of organs due to antigen-antibody reactions.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Can robotic-assisted partial laparoscopy be done on obese patients?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is obese and requires a robotic-assisted partial laparoscopy. I am worried about his weight 294, height 71 inches and how pneumoperitoneum may affect him during surgery. Currently, he is on Lisinopril 10 mg. There is a possibility of RCC on left kidney 2.5 cm.  Read Full »

My grandfather had heart attack. Please suggest a suitable treatment for him.

Query: Hi doctor, My grandfather is 82 years old. He has diabetes as well as Alzheimer's. He had a heart attack before 15 days. Doctors are confused whether to go in for angioplasty or bypass considering his age and diabetic history. He had congestion in the lungs and had breathlessness and sleeplessness...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now