Q. What can cause pain in pinky finger while moving?

My pinky finger on my left hand (which is my writing hand) is hurting a lot. I have to keep moving it so it will not go numb and it is going red like in the photos from my pinky down to the knuckle on the side of my hand, it feels strained or dislocated every time. I run cold water on my hand doing dishes or washing my hands. Sometimes, it feels like it has a severe cold burning or numbness. But every time I am moving it, it still really hurts so much.

#

The cause of redness with or without numbness in your pinky finger could be from Raynaud's phenomenon, nerve disease, vasculitis or rheumatoid arthritis. Since you are complaining it to be related to cold exposures, it is more likely to be Raynaud's phenomenon. This process is due to cold injury to the blood vessels which are contracted because of the chilling effect of cold. This is also to conserve the heat inside leading to cyanotic spells in the peripheral vasculature. It is quite common in some persons after exposure to cold there is progressive redness and then bluish to purple discoloration of the skin accompanied with warmth and pins and needle sensation at the affected area. I advise you to protect yourself from cold. Use of vasodilator drugs is part of a conservative regime that is advised in mild cases after consultation with a doctor. If the problem persists, I would suggest you consult a rheumatologist.

|