Q. What can cause pain in pinky finger while moving?

Published on Jan 11, 2019

My pinky finger on my left hand (which is my writing hand) is hurting a lot. I have to keep moving it so it will not go numb and it is going red like in the photos from my pinky down to the knuckle on the side of my hand, it feels strained or dislocated every time. I run cold water on my hand doing dishes or washing my hands. Sometimes, it feels like it has a severe cold burning or numbness. But every time I am moving it, it still really hurts so much.

#

The cause of redness with or without numbness in your pinky finger could be from Raynaud's phenomenon, nerve disease, vasculitis or rheumatoid arthritis. Since you are complaining it to be related to cold exposures, it is more likely to be Raynaud's phenomenon. This process is due to cold injury to the blood vessels which are contracted because of the chilling effect of cold. This is also to conserve the heat inside leading to cyanotic spells in the peripheral vasculature. It is quite common in some persons after exposure to cold there is progressive redness and then bluish to purple discoloration of the skin accompanied with warmth and pins and needle sensation at the affected area. I advise you to protect yourself from cold. Use of vasodilator drugs is part of a conservative regime that is advised in mild cases after consultation with a doctor. If the problem persists, I would suggest you consult a rheumatologist.

How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?

Query: Hello doctor, My primary care physician said that I may have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1 and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA, if that is what I have.  Read Full »

Should I try steroid medicines for my rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis two years back. I am on Ayurveda treatment and have taken Panchakarma treatment as well. There is a slight improvement, but still, my swelling on the left knee is not coming down, and recently a pain in the left wrist has begun. My ESR and CC...  Read Full »

Is Plaquenil beneficial in C.difficile colitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother was diagnosed with systemic sclerosis (CREST). Her main symptoms have been Raynaud's and esophageal issues. She also has Alzheimer's and a history of recurrent C.diff colitis. She took Plaquenil for several years and her CREST symptoms appeared stable. So, when her rheumato...  Read Full »