Q. Kindly advise the management of mammary duct ectasia with chronic granulomatous mastitis.

Answered by Dr. Noushif M and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Breast Lump or Granulomatous Mastitis? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 33 years old female. Before four years, I had a baby girl but she never did breastfeeding on my left breast. Now before one month, I have noticed I have breast lump which is never painful for me. I had reduced my weight to 8 to 10 kg from last 10 months. That is the only symptom that matches here. The doctor suggested mammogram followed by biopsy but the result was active chronic mastitis with giant cell reaction. So, the doctor prescribed antibiotics but after 20 days lump is of the same size. The next visit she suggested was an excisional biopsy of the lump. So, finally, I did an excisional biopsy or removed lump with surgery and then now biopsy report says mammary duct ectasia with chronic granulomatous mastitis. There is no evidence of malignancy in the examined material. Now my doctor is confused about what kind of treatment has to be started here as disease says for chances of repeated again but what kind of treatment will be effective here. Can you please advice here, if possible?